how to wire...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miami Son

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So when you use the butt splice crimp connectors to tap into a wire, do you cut it and insert the wire into both ends and then put the wire your adding into one of the ends as well? Ive never used these connectors, just soldered or those quick splice ones

Yes, that's how I do it. And if they are outside or exposed to the elements in any way I will cover the butt splice with shrink sleeve to protect it. Inside the cab the butt splice is fine uncovered, but I prefer to solder whenever possible.

In aircraft usage we have these great mil-spec butt splices that have their own shrink sleeve material that also makes the finished splice watertight. I have a bunch of them from my Gulfstream days and use them on important projects.

For those who don't know what mil-spec is, it is an abbreviation of military specification and refers to a level of certification required to meet military subcontractor specs of components, tools and processes. In industries like aviation many items are required to meet mil-spec qualifications to assure that they will operate and perform at a higher level than standard. Most automotive electrical components would not pass mil-spec certification.

Last edited:

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you want simple, I wouldn't splice at all...I would run a wire thru the firewall to the battery and another to ground it, then to a switch inside. You would have to flip the switch to activate the lights but that way there is no splicing at all...not the best option but if you are intimidated by electrical it is one of the easiest...my $.02...good luck!

OP
OP
R

rug 15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
well thanks all im pretty sure im running straight to battery.. cause im doing 6 lights on top of the roll bar i jsut ordered. :happy107: