I finally found that annoying sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4wd RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my new truck was making a weird noise every now and then when going over bumps and turning. It sounds like something was rolling around on every bump or turn. This was driving me crazy on my new vehicle! So I crawled under the truck and found one of these inside the frame. I was positive that was the noise that I was hearing. So I drove the truck around some more and no more noise. I was like yeah buddy I rock. Then I started to rock the truck side to side at low speeds and it was back. No.... So I took everything out of the backseat and glove box. I then took another drive rocking back and forth at low speeds and could hear it making the rolling around noise yet.

So I then pulled all the plastics off my drivers side interior with no luck finding anything. Then I thought to myself I'm this far into it and I'm going to keep tearing it down further. I then pulled out the drivers seat belt mechanism and used a flashlight and mirror to investigate. There it was looking back at me! I jumped for joy knowing full well that was it. Long story short these two pieces of caulking was the problem all along.

Attachments

• 20170219_211018.jpg
    20170219_211018.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 467

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have a weird sound too. But it sounds like a hollow something hitting something solid. It almost sounds like my AMP running boards. Still have to look into that....

Doesn't sound like what you're experiencing unfortunately, but I know you're happy that sound is gone!

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So far in trying to track down sounds I've put camper foam on quite a bit of my interior. A little bit on both of the plastic panels the seat belts are mounted to as they seem to chatter a little bit over bumps (the flat part that is adjustable up/down where the seat belt loop attaches). I also have some foam in the overhead console to eliminate vibrations as I had some kind of rattling coming from there over bumps. With a little foam placed strategically to make the overhead console fit tighter I've eliminated that rattle.

I also put foam on the plastic panel on the side of the passenger side seat. It's the panel that covers access to the spare tire jack under the seat. I put enough foam to make it fit snugly with no play over bumps.

I also have foam in various places underneath the steering column down by the pedals. There are a lot of wire looms down there and pieces of plastic that look like they're poorly covered to eliminate potential noise so I put foam on anything I thought looked like it would make noise.

Lastly I got rid of the plastic shims underneath the wiper cowl that they use to align the windshield. There's one of these on each side. They're glued into place with a glue that disintegrates over time, when it disintegrates the plastic shims can then rattle when driving over bumpy roads.

Honestly my truck has been great outside of some annoying interior rattling that I've dealt with since I bought it. They could really do a better job putting foam, and soft touch materials in places where you can have noise with plastic touching plastic and/or metal, and places where if you put something in storage it can make noise. I don't understand why the glove box doesn't have some kind of soft touch materials in it, or the center console storage. Some things could also just be a little bit tighter in their assembly as well. Otherwise I love the look and layout of the interior.

Hope this long winded post helps some of you track down some of your own rattling gremlins.

Last edited:

naumaa1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with Shibby 100%, love the truck but I feel I'm constantly hunting down these small rattles

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I agree with Shibby 100%, love the truck but I feel I'm constantly hunting down these small rattles

It's ridiculous, it's like every time I track one down, there's another one that shows up. To make matters worse they're intermittent, so if I dream of asking the dealer to fix them my luck it won't rattle when they drive it and they'll just blow it off saying they couldn't "recreate" the issue. Maddening.

jljbtm

Reaction score
That dreaded NPF
No problem found

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That dreaded NPF
No problem found

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Well I found one little culprit tonight, kept hearing this incessant rattling and it was really intermittent. Disappears for days, then comes back again. Found a metal Coca-Cola bottle cap under my seat near the little plastic connector for all the power seat functions. That one was my own damn fault lol, must've dropped that cap and forgot about it.

I also put some foam behind the panels on the side of and at the very front of the center console were the panel comes up and meets the dash on both sides. These are just plastic panels and if you feel behind them there is some kind of flat piece of metal. If you make a fist and hit the plastic with little force it sounds like it could be an annoying rattle so I stuck a piece of foam to to the metal part behind the plastic on both the driver and passenger sides. Hoping that helps.

I love my truck through and through so far but the engineers could've done a better job putting in some soft touch materials and foam in strategic spots to keep things tight and quiet.

OP
OP
WiSH2oo0

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Found a metal Coca-Cola bottle cap under my seat

Now that's funny.

The new sound I found last night is my parking brake cable rubbing the rear drivers side bracket. I'm still trying to think of a easy fix. I'll probably try electrical tape first around the cable where it rubs.

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Now that's funny.

The new sound I found last night is my parking brake cable rubbing the rear drivers side bracket. I'm still trying to think of a easy fix. I'll probably try electrical tape first around the cable where it rubs.

Hmm have a picture of that?

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a creak in my seat that is getting worse. If I drive on a bumpy road, go over speed bumps, or move in my seat I can hear it. Pretty sure it is coming from the left rear of the driver seat. this one I need to fix asap.

I also have rattles in the doors - but I know exactly where they are just haven't had time to fix it.

OP
OP
WiSH2oo0

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I sure do. The bracket on the drivers side rear control arm.

Attachments

• 20170306_220132.jpg
    20170306_220132.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

colport833

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
hemi
Sound Found

I found my sound....it was a AA battery that had found its way through a square hole in the carpet under the seat...I was positive a bolt was rolling around...damn batteries.:favorites13:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye