Illegal to disable seat belt warning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bitNine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Just to start, so that I don't get a seat belt lecture from anyone, I ALWAYS wear my seat belt. I don't even feel comfortable driving without it on. There are just those few times out in the boonies where having the audible warning is annoying as hell.

When dropping my truck off for some warranty work this morning, I got into a short argument with a guy about the seat belt audible warning. This guy specifically tells me "It's against the law for us to disable the seat belt warning". I told him that I didn't believe that was true, and asked if he could state the specific federal law that states that they aren't allowed to disable it. He said he could not. He also couldn't answer whether or not it was federal law or state law. I expressed that I was sure it's corporate policy that they can't disable it, and I also know that it's federal law that a manufacturer provides this type of system in any new vehicle. But I do not believe that it's against the law for them to disable it, or any portion of it for that matter.

I've read plenty of threads about how to disable it, but none of them seem to state if it's the same with keyless-go. I'll try that known method later today and see if it works. But really, my concern is when a person at a dealer provides someone with wholly false information, especially when it comes to stating what is "law" vs. what is corporate policy. I contacted Ram customer service, and the lady said it's definitely policy that they won't disable it due to the fact that someone could come after them after an accident... typical CYA legal stuff. She then went and asked someone else who said "It's state law". I asked her which state, and she said she was just told that it's state law. Of course, for me, I don't believe that all 50 states have a law stating that it's illegal to disable a seat belt chime, but I could believe that they go by the most restrictive state law, which is probably CA. If it's corporate policy, then that's cool. I totally understand that.

Anyone know about any specific federal/state law that states that it is illegal for a manufacturer to disable the seat belt warning?

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I know some states have some crazy laws, but I really can't imagine it being a state law.

If I had to guess, they were just telling you that to keep you from doing it - to save themselves a possible lawsuit. If you get stopped not wearing a seat belt, you're getting a ticket for that, not whether or not you have an annoying dinging going the whole time.

OP
OP
B

bitNine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I know some states have some crazy laws, but I really can't imagine it being a state law.

If I had to guess, they were just telling you that to keep you from doing it - to save themselves a possible lawsuit. If you get stopped not wearing a seat belt, you're getting a ticket for that, not whether or not you have an annoying dinging going the whole time.

And that, I COMPLETELY understand. What I don't appreciate is being lied to, especially when it comes to misstating law.

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you are in those situations just buckle the belt and then get in. I use to do that to my work truck. Then just throw the shoulder belt over your head. Problem solved.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
im pretty sure the owners manual tells you how to disable the seat belt chime. i doubt they would print that if it was against the law. i supposed its possible that theres a dumb law stating that the manufacturer cant disable for you, but i cant imagine that being true.

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You can disable the seat belt alarm yourself. It's the first thing I do in all my vehicles. The EVIC will still remind you the entire time it's off, but the dinging is gone. And yes, I always wear my seat belt on the road.

Get in and buckle the seat belt. Turn the ignition to ON without starting and wait for the seat belt light to turn off. Unbuckle and buckle the seat belt 3 times within 10 seconds ending with it buckled. Turn ignition to OFF and you should hear a single chime. If not, repeat the process. I have found that taking the full 10 seconds works better than trying to do it all fast.

OP
OP
B

bitNine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm aware that I should be able to disable it myself. I'm hoping the procedures mentioned everywhere, as well as here, also apply to vehicles with keyless-go. I'll be trying that after I get the truck back today.

The problem is that I don't believe that it's against the law for the dealer, or anyone for that matter, to purposefully defeat the warning system included in the vehicle. I believe that the person who told me this, has been misinformed, and is continuing to spread that misinformation. If the guy had simply told me "We won't do it", that would have been the end of it. But he specifically said "It's against the law for us to disable it".

After taking another look at the owner's manual for the truck, it says nothing about how to enable/disable the warning. However, I found this:

BeltAlert® can be enabled or disabled by your authorized dealer. Chrysler Group LLC does not recommend deactivating BeltAlert®.

I'll print it out and give it to the guy who told me it's illegal. Maybe that will be enough for him to cease the spread of misinformation.

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
As others have mentioned, I have a hard time believing it's against the law to disable it. Especially since the owners manual tells you to take it to the dealer to have them do it. Your dealer could have a policy against disabling, and if so the guy should have told you that rather than it's illegal. I'd certainly print out that page in the manual and show it to the guy.

My 2014 Jeep has the Keyless-Go and the same procedure worked so it should work on yours too.

PX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Two weeks ago I shoveled 1364 lbs of dirt and gravel into the back of my truck and took it to the landfill and shoveled it back out of the truck. I know it was 1364 because it's $0.10 per lb at the landfill. It just so happened that it was on the hottest day of the year in GA, something like 93/94, and needless to say I was an oweful mess in the stink and sweat department. I know I should have but I didn't buckle up, one because it would have really made the seat belt nasty, and two with as freakin hot as I was I was looking for anything to add to some comfort. Anyway, long story short after a while it will shut off on it's own and I thought I was going to die at the end of the day from heat exhaustion. I guess at 38 you shouldn't act 22 anymore....

OP
OP
B

bitNine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Two weeks ago I shoveled 1364 lbs of dirt and gravel into the back of my truck and took it to the landfill and shoveled it back out of the truck. I know it was 1364 because it's $0.10 per lb at the landfill. It just so happened that it was on the hottest day of the year in GA, something like 93/94, and needless to say I was an oweful mess in the stink and sweat department. I know I should have but I didn't buckle up, one because it would have really made the seat belt nasty, and two with as freakin hot as I was I was looking for anything to add to some comfort. Anyway, long story short after a while it will shut off on it's own and I thought I was going to die at the end of the day from heat exhaustion. I guess at 38 you shouldn't act 22 anymore....

I guess that's the exact time when it's nice to have the cooled seats!!

PX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
OP
OP
B

bitNine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Well, after talking with the service manager, he agreed that the information given was indeed wrong. It absolutely is not illegal to disable the seat belt warning, however they said they would not do it for me, even though the owner's manual clearly says they will. Even Ram customer service contradicts itself by saying they won't do it, and don't understand why it says it in the manual. Talk about a conundrum.

After leaving my vehicle at the dealer all day for warranty work, they literally got nothing done, except updating the uconnect software. Out of 7 items on a list, they got one thing done. What an awesome dealership I have.

I was able to get the seat belt chime disabled. Worked like a charm on the first try.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think you need to find a new dealership to deal with.
Jay

awo1aggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 Megacab Bighorn 4x4
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
you can also disconnect the wiring assembly under the seat and ground out the male connection and not only will the chime go away but the light reminder goes away too.

bloombloom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you can also disconnect the wiring assembly under the seat and ground out the male connection and not only will the chime go away but the light reminder goes away too.

I did not know this would disable the light as well, cool

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
When you are in those situations just buckle the belt and then get in. I use to do that to my work truck. Then just throw the shoulder belt over your head. Problem solved.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4

I would STRONGLY advise NOT doing this. Wearing just the shoulder strap is a great way to separate your head from your shoulders in the event of an accident. There's a reason vehicle manufacturers do not have automatic shoulder straps anymore. People would leave the shoulder strap attached and not connecting the lap belt.

Last edited: