Installing a Heated Steering Wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been wanting to install a heated wheel in my '14 Big Horn. I have searched through many threads on here and this is what I saw so far:

'I've done it on a 2013 R/T. It wasn't that hard but it is expensive. If you do not have the harness already I would think it is nearly impossible to do. You can easily find this out by popping the top of the steering column off and looking for a wire with a blue plug closest to the center of the cab. It will be plugged into a dummy plug on the rear of the clock spring. If it's there then you are set.'

You will then need the wheel rim, clock spring, internal steering wheel harness, and switches for the dash.

You take you existing steering wheel off, remove the plastic pieces from the front and rear and then remove the internal harness. You then replace the harness with the one you bought as it will have plugs for the heated rim. Put everything back together and then replace the clock spring. The turn signal stalk is just a module that plugs in. Now re-install the steering wheel and then add the switches.'

'I did find that if you want to add the steering wheel pretty much the SLT's and up I know are already wired. Just need the clock spring, heated wheel, and the switch and it should work.'
Again, this is for 13's and up. I am not sure about the tradesman or express. You can easily tell though. Remove the upper steering column cover and if there is a blue plug just plugged into a blank, that's it.'

'Not sure if anybody is following this. Just wanted to add I put in the switch panel and the seats and steering wheel heat up as they should. They even show right up on the 8.4 display when you push the button to turn them on.'

I know I need the wheel and the dash switch plate. What I am not sure is do I need a new steering column wire harness, and do I need a new clock spring.
I have all of the part #'s except for the clock spring. Does someone have that? Also my dealer mentioned I might need a new Steering Column Control Module, part # 68110740AD, but I don't see that mentioned anywhere on here. Is the control module the clock spring?
One last thing, from what I am seeing the computer does not need flashed for the to work, is this thought correct.
Any help would be appreciated as I really want to do this, and don't want to order any unnecessary parts.

AllMoparParts.com

- Benny
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
All
Engine
All
You will need the wiring harness from the clockspring to wheel, I believe the clockspring is the same though. Send me your VIN and I will lookup the wiring harness you need.

-Benny

OP
OP
J

johnts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will need the wiring harness from the clockspring to wheel, I believe the clockspring is the same though. Send me your VIN and I will lookup the wiring harness you need.

-Benny
1C6RR7LG8ES337842
Are you saying I don't need a new clockspring?

AllMoparParts.com

- Benny
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
All
Engine
All
1C6RR7LG8ES337842
Are you saying I don't need a new clockspring?

Thanks,

Unfortunately you will need a new clockspring as they are different , It is part# 68110740AD

As for the harness you will need it's part # 68163716AB

Both can be purchased from our repair parts section here Repair Parts We also have an available onsite coupon code for an additional 5% off

Thanks,
Benny

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Can a heated steering wheel be added to a tradesman? just wondering

MontanaDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, I didn't realize that trying to add this upgrade is a $700 or more dollars if you bought all the items separate and then paid Labor to install the wheel. I think it would be cheaper to buy a used Leather steering wheel that has all the controls and is heated. Am I thinking right on this? I have a Tradesman/Express?
Thanks for any input...

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Wow, I didn't realize that trying to add this upgrade is a $700 or more dollars if you bought all the items separate and then paid Labor to install the wheel. I think it would be cheaper to buy a used Leather steering wheel that has all the controls and is heated. Am I thinking right on this? I have a Tradesman/Express?
Thanks for any input...
I don't think anyone buys a new heated steering wheel. Most find them fairly cheap on eBay or car-parts.com only thing that people buy new are any associated wiring and the clock spring because they generally are fairly cheap.

MontanaDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I understand why one may need another harness for the plug for the heat element to plug into, but replacing the clock Spring? is that because the Clock spring is specific to the wheel?
Thanks
John,

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've seen several 2013 ++ heated sterringwheels with audio controls and the VR/Phone button in like new condition on ebay and other places for under $100.00 and regularly for under $200.00

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I removed my sterring wheel to install the audio controls and VR / Phone button I had a blue connector plugged into a black dummy plug is that the one that I'd use ? It wasn't visible untill the wheel was off .

My truck is a 2014 4x4 QC Express with bumpers painted to match the truck like a Sport.

JSVT3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've seen several 2013 ++ heated sterringwheels with audio controls and the VR/Phone button in like new condition on ebay and other places for under $100.00 and regularly for under $200.00

I got mine off Car-Part from Highway Auto for $125 shipped. It is a black leather heated wheel with audio controls and all the buttons VR/Phone/Gear Up/Down etc. Looks brand new. I haven't put it on yet because I'm going to do my cluster at the same time so no insight as to how difficult it will be. I'll be bugging R.L.K. if I run into problems though :crazy:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
LOL ! No problem , I had mine off a couple times it's pretty easy now !

neloms

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
3.6L V6
Can a heated steering wheel be added to a tradesman? just wondering

I don't think the Tradesman has the blue harness but I haven't looked on mine yet.

twisted 8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if you have the blue plug and the switches is it just plug and play? Or do I still need to order a different clock spring

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fwiw , when I replaced the sterringwheel on my 14 Express I had the blue plug , plugged into a dummy plug

firebuff17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if you have the blue plug and the switches is it just plug and play? Or do I still need to order a different clock spring

From what I have researched.
You will need clockspring and codes being flashed.
These on top of the blue plug and switches in dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my '13 I didn't need to flash codes and tit works fine. For me, with my trim and option packages, adding the flash will give me the controls in the 8.4 display as well. Still haven't got around to doing that yet.

twisted 8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my '13 I didn't need to flash codes and tit works fine. For me, with my trim and option packages, adding the flash will give me the controls in the 8.4 display as well. Still haven't got around to doing that yet.

Did you need the clock spring? I found a number but are they are really $279?

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sweet.

Literally the ONLY option I want a new ram for. Besides the 8 spd, but then i lose my awesome slapshift.

I may consider putting a heated wheel in. Awesome news!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NeedHead