Installing a Heated Steering Wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I have a 2014 tradesman. I pulled of the top cover behind my wheel. I do have the blue plug attached to a dummy. My new wheel has the plug that says heating element on it. So is a new clock spring all I need to have everything connected? I also have all the switches in my truck from my center console Laramie Upgrade.

Is the blue plug the one that heating element connects too? Is the clock spring part # tied to my vin or the year? I want to be sure I get the right clock spring for my heated wheel to work

Attachments

• 20170202_205703_resized.jpg
    20170202_205703_resized.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 163

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2014 tradesman. I pulled of the top cover behind my wheel. I do have the blue plug attached to a dummy. My new wheel has the plug that says heating element on it. So is a new clock spring all I need to have everything connected? I also have all the switches in my truck from my center console Laramie Upgrade.

Is the blue plug the one that heating element connects too? Is the clock spring part # tied to my vin or the year? I want to be sure I get the right clock spring for my heated wheel to work

You'll need the clockspring, heated seats, and the wiring between the driver's seat and the column (you likely don't have it in a Tradesman unless it's a regular cab).

JRust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
You'll need the clockspring, heated seats, and the wiring between the driver's seat and the column (you likely don't have it in a Tradesman unless it's a regular cab).

I need heated seats to make my heated steering wheel work?

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I need heated seats to make my heated steering wheel work?

Correct. The heated seat module also controls the steering wheel. Theoretically if you could get the right connectors you could wire up the modules outside of the seats, but I don't think anyone has ever done that.

JRust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Well dang it that is the first I have seen that in any of the steering wheel threads I've looked through. ARGH!

JRust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel

For the clockspring what do I order? Obviously it won't be for my tradesman I ask for a replacment. Do I take the wheel to the the dealer? Someone have a number for the clockspring I will need. Just want to make sure I order the right one. Also if anyone has a good place besides the dealer they buy them from. I'd appreciate the link

Obviously it would be a bonus for the heated wheel to work. Since I don't have the seats looks like that will wait a while. Still the wheel is a nice upgrade & gives me the audio controls. So that will still be a really nice upgrade for me.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
For the clockspring what do I order? Obviously it won't be for my tradesman I ask for a replacment. Do I take the wheel to the the dealer? Someone have a number for the clockspring I will need. Just want to make sure I order the right one. Also if anyone has a good place besides the dealer they buy them from. I'd appreciate the link

Obviously it would be a bonus for the heated wheel to work. Since I don't have the seats looks like that will wait a while. Still the wheel is a nice upgrade & gives me the audio controls. So that will still be a really nice upgrade for me.

If you're not hooking up the heat you can just use your existing clockspring. There just won't be anything for the heat connectors on the wheel to plug into.

JRust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
If you're not hooking up the heat you can just use your existing clockspring. There just won't be anything for the heat connectors on the wheel to plug into.

I'd rather just have it done & ready for when I do get seats. So I want to just replace my wheel once ;)

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'd rather just have it done & ready for when I do get seats. So I want to just replace my wheel once ;)

Fair enough. You're looking at around $250 for a new one and around $150 for used. Check out the heated seat and wheel thread. There's part numbers in there and I had posted links to some used ones too.

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Late back to this thread. The original poster posted the instructions I had written when i did this mod. You will always need the clock spring. If you want a heated wheel it is required. The blue plug on the correct clock spring plugs into an actual connector where your dummy plug is now. The updated clock spring internally passes the required connection from the column side to the wheel.

As for the heated seats module, I completely missed that. Yes you need it as well. It is a small grey box mounted to the bottom of the drivers heated, and cooled if they have that option, seat. The only other thing you need is the harness by the floor with the correct connectors and the switches for under the AC controls. Flashing just makes it more factory. I am finally having mine done after almost three years tomorrow.

Note, my truck was an early build 2013 Ram R/T. later in the year the 8-speed was added as well as the heated seats and wheel being made a standard feature.

chrisr5310

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Correct. The heated seat module also controls the steering wheel. Theoretically if you could get the right connectors you could wire up the modules outside of the seats, but I don't think anyone has ever done that.
00R/T, I'm in the same boat. I have a 17 Ram Express Crew Cab that has the blue plug everyone mentions. My budget only allowed for the heated wheel right now. Just installed the heated wheel, clock spring and switch panel below the radio. All controls on the wheel work except the heat function. The switch doesn't turn on as if it's not getting power. I checked the owner's manual to determine which fuse controls the wheel and found that fuse F97 controls the heated steering wheel and rear heated seats (if equipped). Even though the Express does not have these options factory installed, the fuse is already there and appears to be a good fuse. I've noticed some people say you need the heated seats with the module in order for the heated wheel to work. My question is "Why are the heated seats w/ the module needed"? Does the module get it's power from the electric seats? The module by itself is less than $100. Can someone doing this upgrade get the module and whatever wire harness to make the heated wheel work? If so, is it a simple harness under the seat or do I need a big elaborate harness all the way to the fuse box?

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Ramagain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
00R/T, I'm in the same boat. I have a 17 Ram Express Crew Cab that has the blue plug everyone mentions. My budget only allowed for the heated wheel right now. Just installed the heated wheel, clock spring and switch panel below the radio. All controls on the wheel work except the heat function. The switch doesn't turn on as if it's not getting power. I checked the owner's manual to determine which fuse controls the wheel and found that fuse F97 controls the heated steering wheel and rear heated seats (if equipped). Even though the Express does not have these options factory installed, the fuse is already there and appears to be a good fuse. I've noticed some people say you need the heated seats with the module in order for the heated wheel to work. My question is "Why are the heated seats w/ the module needed"? Does the module get it's power from the electric seats? The module by itself is less than $100. Can someone doing this upgrade get the module and whatever wire harness to make the heated wheel work? If so, is it a simple harness under the seat or do I need a big elaborate harness all the way to the fuse box?

Any information is greatly appreciated!
I did this in my 13 Tradesman the clockspring and seat wire harnesses were needed ( I used @Mpgrimm2 harness since I added power seats in my truck) The seat module and associated under carpet wiring are needed ( if your model wasnt prewired).
...I'm assuming your talking about "the switch" on the stereo bezel to turn on the heat. If you have an RA4 head unit you'll need Alfa OBD to turn on the option for the display switch.
Mine works flawlessly without the bezel switch BTW. When temps are low, I'm welcomed to a preheated cabin, seat, and steering wheel. It's the little things...

Last edited: