Instrument cluster joy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMdrvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Went to the dealer today to have the instrument/gauge cluster replaced because the oil temp gauge needle had come off the stem. This was an issue when I bought the truck and the dealership agreed to fix it. Anyway, I was getting ready to drive away when I noticed the speedo gauge was in KPH not MPH. Apparently, they went by the VIN to order the new cluster and because my RAM was built in Canada, I got kilometers instead of miles. Interestingly both clusters had the same part number so they believe the previous owner somehow opened the old cluster and put an MPH gauge face in and they think that's probably how the oil temp needle came off.

So now I need to call Monday to see if they'll replace the cluster again but with an American one. IMO, they should because thats what they sold me.

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
When they bring them across the border, they are required to have the cluster converted by an authorized shop. There should have been a sticker on the back of the cluster showing the date it was converted, the original kilometers and what they entered as the miles on that date.

I know this because mine was also a Canadian truck imported by a dealer. I think to save money they just replace the face of the cluster with a US one and recalibrate it to default to MPH. The reason I think this is that I had a similar issue. When I went to test drive my truck 2 days after they got it, the speedo needle wasn't moving. All other needles moved and the digital speedo was working.

The general manager told me he had seen it one other time where it didn't get pressed on properly after conversion. I didn't think about the fact that they would have just swapped the face. I guess there is no other reason for them to take the cluster apart since it is all electronic and can be programmed through the connector on the back.

I ended up swapping it for a color TFT cluster. Maybe I will check the part number on my old cluster to see if it is a Canadian part number.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morgansamuel