Interior Dome Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jb772

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Hey guys,

I ran into a small (hopefully?!) problem the other day when installing my new super bright white LED bulbs into the interior dome lights of my 2013 Dodge Ram 1500.

I installed the lower foot LED's with no problems, and then moved onto the two dome lights. I installed the driver side dome light with ease and re-installed the cover. Next, I moved onto the passenger side dome light, and installed the LED and it was working great. When I went to put the cap back on the LED, I snapped it into place, but as I did, the light immediately shut off. I figured I didn't install the LED all the way in, so I pulled the cap back off and tried to re-install the LED, with no luck. Figuring that I may have just gotten a bad LED, I tried the old one, and again, no light.

Now my passenger side dome light isn't working at all no matter what LED/OEM bulb I put in it, but the drivers side does.

Does anyone know what this issue is or how to resolve it?

Here is a picture for reference:
14cdu9d.jpg

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Pull the panel off and check the connection, you might of pulled it off by accident.

EVc96bKA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had to replace my entire housing when I had the problem. But I had completely broken the clip inside. You might have been lucky enough to just knock it out of place.

Yes it was a bit of a pain to get off. The fastener clips are I kind of fragile and they broke when I took mine off. Granted, I was replacing it entirely anyway so I wasn't as careful as I could have been. But it wasn't easy. Just take your time and make sure you use a plastic trim tool and work it out. Putting it back in was an even bigger pain as the wiring connections aren't very long at all.

Here is a pretty good video for it.
https://youtu.be/w2i9vtrOV4U

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I installed mine I accidentally knocked out the plastic piece that clicks when you push the cover. When you put the clear cover back on did you hear it clicking when you pressed it

tncruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi
I had same issue it corrected in about 15 minutes after I put original bulb back
brianj

OP
OP
J

jb772

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
I had to replace my entire housing when I had the problem. But I had completely broken the clip inside. You might have been lucky enough to just knock it out of place.

Yes it was a bit of a pain to get off. The fastener clips are I kind of fragile and they broke when I took mine off. Granted, I was replacing it entirely anyway so I wasn't as careful as I could have been. But it wasn't easy. Just take your time and make sure you use a plastic trim tool and work it out. Putting it back in was an even bigger pain as the wiring connections aren't very long at all.

Here is a pretty good video for it.
https://youtu.be/w2i9vtrOV4U

Thanks for that video, I'm going outside right now to pull it off and see what I can find out.

OP
OP
J

jb772

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
When I installed mine I accidentally knocked out the plastic piece that clicks when you push the cover. When you put the clear cover back on did you hear it clicking when you pressed it

It happened so fast that I couldn't even tell you for sure if it made a clicking sound or not. I was so pissed that I messed up such a simple task haha.

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bang on it with your hand, there is a plastic clicker piece that I knocked off when I put LEDs in and you could hear it rattling around up in there. After about 7 youtube videos and 20 min. of careful pulling I got my overhead pulled out and it just clipped right back into place. Good as new. Just a tip if you are super picky about your headliner, I wore rubber gloves and used my hands to pull it down. Trim stick, screwdriver were starting to dent the headliner

OP
OP
J

jb772

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
*** Great news ***

After taking the advice of all of the posts above, I went ahead and took down the entire panel with an old shoe/heel slip. Once the panel was down and I was able to see the clicker and where the LED lights go into, I realized I must have some how moved the white clicker panel out from making its connection. I snapped it back into place and it works like a charm now!

Thanks everyone for the help it is VERY much appreciated. I will deff be staying active on these forums.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
*** Great news ***

After taking the advice of all of the posts above, I went ahead and took down the entire panel with an old shoe/heel slip. Once the panel was down and I was able to see the clicker and where the LED lights go into, I realized I must have some how moved the white clicker panel out from making its connection. I snapped it back into place and it works like a charm now!

Thanks everyone for the help it is VERY much appreciated. I will deff be staying active on these forums.

:happy107:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01