Just changed my cabin filter.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was wondering why above the opening for the cabin filter is there a gap between the air coming in and the filter. ? You can see the stock tubing white in color in the picture.

Cabin filter after 18k miles 20160829_143926.jpg20160829_143904.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928T

16LaramieLonghorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 VM Diesel
That duct has a track on the side. It opens while the system is off. Closes when it's on. And I think it's open during having it on recirculation.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

16LaramieLonghorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 VM Diesel
I almost pulled on mine too. I just installed a cabin filter in mine the other day. Had to cut out that pesky plastic first. And I was wondering about that too till I started feeling it and turned the truck on.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's the flapper door for the HVAC system. If you run the HVAC system you can see it open and close. When it's open, it's recirculating and when closed it pulls all air from outside. I've learned that this door does not simply open/closed based on the recirculating button on the dash. If you have the HVAC system set to auto, it does not matter if you have recirculating button pushed or not, the system will open/close that door as it sees fit....it overrides your button on the dash. Also, I'm about 90% sure that the humidity sensor controls will also override that recirculating button on the dash if the cab gets too humid inside and it thinks the windows are in a "fogging" condition. Personally, I think the recirculating button on the dash should override anything else, but it does not work that way....annoying.

raff18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019c
Engine
hemi 5.7
i will turn my cabin air filter about every month
mine doesn't have a clean side
figured id get the most out of it