key issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jerryhipp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my truck came with 2 key fobs and 1 key. i always use the key to operate the truck because of the weight of my key chain. ( don't want to put to much pressure on the plastic fobs). well i got in my truck to go to work this morning as usual. went to start my truck and it wouldn't start and the dash was reading "wrong key fob". so i tried to clean the key but nope. so i had to use the fob instead. tried again after work. still same message. anyone know why this does this? and how to fix it? is there a chip in the key? i searched the internet and it seems 2013's had a issue. but it was the fobs and not the keys. mine is the opposite. and i haven't seen anything recent on the issue. all posts are from 2013. so i don't know if its been a resolved issue. or a easy fix. any help is appreciated.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm guessing its the battery on the fob.

Spend $5 and replace the battery on the fob. I started to have intermittent issues with one fob on my Durango R/T about 2.5 years into my ownership and a quick battery swap fixed it.

Replace the battery...if that doesn't work (a quick fix) then you can at least rule it out.

OP
OP
J

jerryhipp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm guessing its the battery on the fob.

Spend $5 and replace the battery on the fob. I started to have intermittent issues with one fob on my Durango R/T about 2.5 years into my ownership and a quick battery swap fixed it.

Replace the battery...if that doesn't work (a quick fix) then you can at least rule it out.

there is no battery in the key. the fobs work fine. its the key that stopped working.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
there is no battery in the key. the fobs work fine. its the key that stopped working.

Are you saying you pull out the key that's built into the fob and put that in the ignition switch? Do you have the fob in your pocket as well (for the security feature)?

If so, like the previous poster said, it may be the battery and the range of the fob not being close to the ignition. Maybe the fob works when it is in the ignition, but when it is far away it intermittently broadcasts the signal to the truck.

I may be misunderstanding what you are saying.

OP
OP
J

jerryhipp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my truck came with a regular key for our ignition. not the key in the fobs. that is what stopped working.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
following to see outcome
very strange tho

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
my truck came with a regular key for our ignition. not the key in the fobs. that is what stopped working.

My question is, when you have been using this regular key, have you had the fob in your pocket, or in the truck? Becuase I believe the regular key doesn’t have a chip in it. So, if you are carrying the fob in your pocket which let you use the regular key, maybe it is the battery in the fob that isn’t giving it the range you had in the past. The fob would still work when you put it in the ignition becuase it is closer.

Just a theory.

OP
OP
J

jerryhipp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My question is, when you have been using this regular key, have you had the fob in your pocket, or in the truck? Becuase I believe the regular key doesn’t have a chip in it. So, if you are carrying the fob in your pocket which let you use the regular key, maybe it is the battery in the fob that isn’t giving it the range you had in the past. The fob would still work when you put it in the ignition becuase it is closer.

Just a theory.

good point. i will change the battery and see. might be Saturday before i can get a battery though. will update as soon as i do. thanks for the idea.