LED Lights Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill507

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LED bulb size for map install

Yeah but these are from SUPER BRIGHT LEDS!!! So bright.

Great info - but question on the 194 LED Bulb - 15 SMD LED Wedge Base Tower WLED-CWHP15-TAC Map lights. I have a 2014 1500 Big Horn.. the pix the site has says they are oversized, a bit taller than existing bulbs.. but you were able to install w/o any issues? Pushing the lens to turn them on/off looks like it dosent give much room. If I have the right part # I am ready to order as well, 2 for maps 2 for foot well and the rear dome. Thanks!!

plarkinjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Just thought I'd follow up in general.... my truck doesnt have map lights or footwell lighting, but here are superbrightLED parts that I put in my truck, and confirm all work .... it's just a matter of preference

Tail 2 3157-R45-T Red22.95
Dome 1 4410-R9 Red2.49
Dome 1 4410-A9 Amber2.49
Dome 1 4410-NW9 Natural White4.74
Glove 1 WLED-R-120 Red 120 Degree0.79
Glove 1 WLED-A-120 Amber 120 Degree0.79
Glove 1 WLED-W-120 Cool White 120 Degree1.39
LPlate 2 WLED-NW6 Natural White3.74
CHMSL 1 WLED-RLX Red4.95
CHMSL 1 WLED-RHP5 Red5.95
Glove 1 WLED-G-120 Green 120 Degree1.39

Just FYI, you'll need to add resistors to the 3157s in the tail/turn/brake lights. I've not done that yet, but plan instead to try grounding a particular wire under the dash per http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2013/docs/ram/ramelm.pdf

P.S. my front corners are switchbacks from Retroshops, and the reverse lights are from Retro-solutions (different stores). Here's the details on the reverses:

921-CREE-SIDE-2X T15 CREE Reverse (Side Emitter) *****
Price: $36.99
Qty: 1
Amount: $36.99
Options:
Bulb Version: Dodge Ram 2500/3500 2010-2012

921-5W-CREE T15 CREE 5W Reverse/Cargo *****
Price: $39.99
Qty: 1
Amount: $39.99

Hope folks find that helpful!

P.P.S. the Glove box light isn't needed on my stock truck, but when I upgraded to the closing upper box, I added the light mount too, and that's were the bulb went.

Last edited:

Munky

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Okay so I'm having an issue with my 2013 Ram 1500 Blackout Express. I've installed LEDs in my license plate & 3rd brake light as well as the cargo lights. I keep getting a "brake light out" warning. I've used canbus and noncanbus LEDs and keep getting the warning. I see some of you have mentioned using a resistor to prevent this. What size/style resistor are you using and where are you wiring it in? Pics would be greatly appreciated as well being as I am a total noob to all this stuff.

OP
OP
xrsman

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Okay so I'm having an issue with my 2013 Ram 1500 Blackout Express. I've installed LEDs in my license plate & 3rd brake light as well as the cargo lights. I keep getting a "brake light out" warning. I've used canbus and noncanbus LEDs and keep getting the warning. I see some of you have mentioned using a resistor to prevent this. What size/style resistor are you using and where are you wiring it in? Pics would be greatly appreciated as well being as I am a total noob to all this stuff.
The only reason I had to use resistors is because I couldn't get canbus reverse lights. I just took the resistor and spliced it into the power wire for both reverse lights. I don't have any pics of it though

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dome light (1)
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/festoon-series-bulbs/578-led-bulb-9-led-festoon/237/

Map lights and third brake light (5)
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...ed-bulb-15-smd-led-wedge-base-tower/910/#pane

Footwell lights (2)
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...ulb-5-smd-led-wide-angle-wedge-base/206/#pane

License plate (2)
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/wedge-bulbs/194-led-bulb-4-led-wedge-base/198/#pane

All lights are cool white. All plug and play. No error codes. [emoji1]. But I had to reseal my third brake light with silicone[emoji33]

Edit: there were no LEDS in my truck before the new install. My truck is an SLT (Bighorn) trim. Build date March 2013.

Last edited:

TRIGGER_Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I only have 3 interior lights in my 14 QC express I take it i need just the dome and 2 maps correct?

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I only have 3 interior lights in my 14 QC express I take it i need just the dome and 2 maps correct?
Correct. 1 Dome and 2 map lights. Before you order lights make sure you can pop off the covers. Some trim levels the lights are on a “computer chip" and can't be changed easily.

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just a quick question.

Are 13+ Rams more sensitive to LED's concerning the CANBUS? I have a 2012 Express and have replaced my reverse and dome lights. I've not had any trouble with either for 2 years. I did just recently change out my parking and tail lights and used resistors. I've also added additional LEDs in the cab for more light with no problems.

Currently, the only filament bulbs I have in my truck are my H13's in the headlights and H11's in my fogs.

From what I'm reading hear and elsewhere, it seems that the 13+ Rams are much more sensitive.

Good luck.

z28th1s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thanks for the links! I used superbrightleds in my last two Mustangs and always got many compliments on them. I just placed my order for the map and dome lights.

plarkinjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just thought I'd follow up in general.... my truck doesnt have map lights or footwell lighting, but here are superbrightLED parts that I put in my truck, and confirm all work .... it's just a matter of preference

Tail 2 3157-R45-T Red22.95
Just FYI, you'll need to add resistors to the 3157s in the tail/turn/brake lights. I've not done that yet, but plan instead to try grounding a particular wire under the dash per http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2013/docs/ram/ramelm.pdf

P.S. my front corners are switchbacks from Retroshops, ...

OK, so another update and question:
I followed the Method A in the ramelm.pdf and it does not work as expected. After putting LEDs in the tail lights, they go to hyperflash. Has anybody had success with this method? Could it be not working because I have power resisters up front (which I'd like to do away with because they get super hot).

Munky

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Alright so I'm still having troubles with my 13 Blackout Express. I have the factory projector housing headlights with factory LED brake lights. I changed out all my other lights over to Canbus LEDs. My license plate lights flicker constantly. My 3rd brake light works but tells me on the dash that it's out. I'm seriously ready to just throw them all away and put the factory bulbs back in. I've never encountered such a picky vehicle before in my life. My buddy has a 14 Blackout Express and we put all the exact same Canbus LEDs in his truck and he doesn't have a single issue. :mad: Anyone have suggestions???

Cloviz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm so pissed and flustered right now! I ordered my lights and got home and started popping them off to find out.....MINE ARE JUST DAMN LEDS NOT BULBS OR ANYTHING LIKE THESE. Just a single led!!! Wasted money on this

OP
OP
xrsman

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I'm so pissed and flustered right now! I ordered my lights and got home and started popping them off to find out.....MINE ARE JUST DAMN LEDS NOT BULBS OR ANYTHING LIKE THESE. Just a single led!!! Wasted money on this
The one built into a computer chip?

Cloviz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The one built into a computer chip?

Yeah I've calm down a bit. I hate surprises so when Im told its a quick pop and switch but find out its a longer process I'm irritated. I just need to remove the chip from the plastic housing and I can change it. But for the map lights I'm at a complete loss as to how to get passed that chrome plating

OP
OP
xrsman

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Yeah I've calm down a bit. I hate surprises so when Im told its a quick pop and switch but find out its a longer process I'm irritated. I just need to remove the chip from the plastic housing and I can change it. But for the map lights I'm at a complete loss as to how to get passed that chrome plating
My dealer couldn't figure out how to change them so if you do let me know! I've still got the bulbs laying around from when I couldn't do it

plarkinjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK, so another update and question:
I followed the Method A in the ramelm.pdf and it does not work as expected. After putting LEDs in the tail lights, they go to hyperflash. Has anybody had success with this method? Could it be not working because I have power resisters up front (which I'd like to do away with because they get super hot).

Followup: I spoke with the folks at RamBodyBuilder who published that method. Seems it ONLY works on trucks with the factory AUX switches and harness. I don't have them, so the circuit I cut & grounded is actually completely unused. I guess I really should put it back though cuz in a decade I'll have forgotten, and might be trying something.

z28th1s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got my led lights from superbrightleds.com for my two front map lights and for the rear dome light and installed them. So much better than the stock lights!!

Cloviz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got my led lights from superbrightleds.com for my two front map lights and for the rear dome light and installed them. So much better than the stock lights!!

How did you get passed the map lights "second layer of defense" and did you unsolder the dome light too?

OP
OP
xrsman

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
How did you get passed the map lights "second layer of defense" and did you unsolder the dome light too?
He has the express so he actually had bulbs in there. That's really the way they all should come, the upper trims have the stupid built in one