lock actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Read alot of the threads about lock actuators and they all say check the wiring first most people have a broken wire. Well I checked the wires and found no cut wires. I can manually lock and unlock the rear drivers side door, but it will not work off power. I took the outer door panel off and found a small 3x3 inspection cover by the actuator, but could not see the actuator or figure how to get it out to see if it was bad or had a bad wire connection. Looks like if you took the inner panel off you could easily access it but can not figure how to do that. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks Tom

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
I do not know if 09 had child safety switch on each door,maybe someone can tell you.

Regards
Don

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
How many connectors in the plug that plug into the actuator?

I would expect 3, or 2. I would start by using a Digital Multi-Meter to identify which pins are which, i.e. ground, hot, signal. Then check for a voltage fluctuation at the signal wire when someone hits the lock, or unlock button.

If you get the voltage change then you better worry about the actuator, but I would check the wires first...

I don't know anything about the actuator, so sorry i can't be of any help there. Also, the child lock only disables the handle on the inside of the door, it doesn't do anything to the locking mechanism itself.

OP
OP
T

Tom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can get my hand on the actuator but that is it I can not see it or tell where to pull the plug out of. I am afraid if I just pulling on things some thing may come out and I will not know where it goes back to. There is a little hole that has a plastic slot in it and it looks like you may be able to put a flat head screw driver in it and turn it but I do not know what that does either. Thanks for any input. Tom

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
mmm, I am in Australia right now, so I don't have access to my RAM, and am afraid I can't help you out without something to look at.

Does it look like it is possible to remove the actuator, so that you can actually see/hold it?

OP
OP
T

Tom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can only see and touch part of what I think is the actuator. I took the door panel off and it looks to be behind the inner door panel that holds the window and frame. It appears to be mounted on the side of the door by the latch. There is an access about 3X3 that looks to be how you get to it, but my hands are just too fat to get in there and still hold a flash light to see what is going on. I thank you all for trying maybe someone will come across this thread that has had the same problem. Thanks again Tom

OP
OP
T

Tom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I looked at my lock again today, when you lock and unlock from the key fob, the lock in question trys to go up and down but just does not have the power. you can feel a little click if you put your hand where the actuator is. So i guess it would be the actuator just not sure how to get it out and then back in. Any one every replaced one. 2009 rear drivers side door full size door. Thanks Tom

ticitme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The actuator is built into the latch. To remove the latch, you have to remove the inner door panel and then remove latch and latch presenter bracket.

OP
OP
T

Tom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How do you go about taking the inner door panel off, that seems like you would have to take the window and everything out?

DIETEL42

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm having the same issue with mine except on the driver door, when it started going bad it would only lock and it would not unlock automatically. then a month or so later, it wouldn't lock anymore. Now its starting to work again lol. I've gone through all the steps as you tom. I wish i had an idea of how to get the inner door panel off. let me know if you have figured anything out. jack

JabregoUSMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been having a similar issue. When I press the lock button on the door or the keyfob, my front passenger door lock rapid fires 3 times. I believe there is a TSB on this and it's caused by a faulty door latch. Will the dealership still cover this even though my warranty just expired? I did purchase a "Lifetime" bumper to bumper warranty which I was told covers everything (minus normal wear and tear/maintenance) for as long as I own the vehicle and can bring it anywhere to get warranty work done....hmmm, we'll see.

719c6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any reference to the TSB previously referred to? Mine now has the 3 clicks and no lock.