Lockable storage options w/ base jump seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CJK440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a '14 Express quad cab. It has the center jump seat with storage only in the lid.

I imagine like many other Express owners, I am looking for a lockable storage solution in the front of the cab for whatever. Searches come up with companies making ones for the bottom of the jumpseat if you have that or full console trucks.....

I know there is an option for under the rear seat but not interested in that.

As far as I have seen the only options are a universal tethered lock box or a DIY solution.

I will probably do the tethered option short term while I look at adapting a lockbox from another vehicle to mine. (thinking maybe a Bestop lock box for a Jeep might be able to be adapted somehow.)

I figured I'd post and see if anybody had a solution.

OP
OP
C

CJK440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I came up with what seems a good solution. I bought a Bulldog spring loaded vault with barrel lock. I figured an ideal place to install it was under the drivers seat thinking there was a ton of room under there.

Well these metal connector brackets hogged up all the space. So I removed the brackets, disconnected the connectors from the clips and found sufficient space. I fabricated a couple of brackets using some channel stock I had kicking around and welded it to the outside of the box. You might be able to bold brackets to the box, but the space between the tracks and the inside of the box is slim, perhaps flatheads facing out??? I used the existing bracket holes and can return the truck to stock easily.

The best tip I can offer is to fab the brackets and bolt them on, then mark the vault box when it is placed properly.

A couple of tacks with the MIG to be sure it bolts up nice and then some better beads followed by a coat of paint and voila.

As for the connectors, I wrapped them with adhesive foam and simply pinned them between the carpet and the vault box. No rattles.

The seat moves fore and aft without any contact. The picture of it installed is with the seat in the full rearward position which I don't use but there is no reason it couldn't be moved in or out depending on the typical drivers seat position.

Attachments

• DSCF9686.jpg
    DSCF9686.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF9687.jpg
    DSCF9687.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 43