Locker down Ram floor storage safe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ddetta88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My dad has a 2014 3500 cab and chassis Cummins that didnt have the rear floor storage compartments.

He only has room for one due to the DEF fluid tank on the driver side

We looked at installing an OEM one but he found the locker down safe and he liked it.

I search the internet to see if anyone had installed them in a cab that did not have the factory boxes and was unable to find any results so I thought I'd post this

I imagine all Crew Cabs that do not have the storage bins probably just have the panel filling the hole so it may take a little more work but it does mount in

He was jealous of my storage bins in my 1500 but now I want to buy one of these Locker down safes for my truck 800af029b273f2c92237a3e6ae9e1b6a.jpgaa485925498ce3a721cf4cb9afeba127.jpg7c1511ca3e4553fb4c8e65370f5efd65.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

predat-r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
That's cool I've been looking for something like this when traveling out of state and need to carry firearms.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Shady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Just ordered one. Got the lineX spray, & upgraded lock. It looks like a more robust door than the ESP one that I have now. https://www.esptruck.com/product-page/dodge-ram-lockable-floor-box
If it is more secure, I'll move the ESP to the passenger side for the wife's purse/stuff she wants to leave in the truck sometimes, and keep my extra pistol/ammo in the locker down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

predat-r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Is that the passenger rear side that it's mounted? Also how's the sound?

OP
OP
D

ddetta88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is that the passenger rear side that it's mounted? Also how's the sound?

Yes my dad's truck has a giant DEF tank on the drivers side so we could only install it on the passenger side

I don't think there is a noticeable increase in road noise if that is what you mean

Shady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
No increased road noise withe the ESP I have now. No reason to expect the locker down to be worse in this regard. Especially with the lineX spray on the exterior. My truck has the storage on both sides, so I can install it in either location.

predat-r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I'm def gonna look into doing this. I have the ram 1500 quad cab so hope it clears.

Trog73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Shady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The quality of materials and workmanship with the ESP is very good, from a design point of view, the lid on the ESP is aluminum, flat, and seems like it would be fairly easy to pry up. The cam lock is centered on the long edge of the lid. If there were two locks, or a three point cam lock with rods that engaged the fwd/aft walls of the box, it might make it more secure. The door assembly on the locker down has flanges that bend down and do not give as easy of an opportunity to pry on. Also, this design would add rigidity to the door, and make it more secure. I am looking forward to receiving the locker down this week so I can do a real side by side comparison.

predat-r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Keep us posted thank you.

Shady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Ok, my Lock'er down arrived this week and I installed it on the driver's side location this morning. I moved the ESP over and installed it on the passenger side. It gave me a good opportunity to do a side by side comparison of these two products.

The first thing I looked at was the quality of the welds and thickness of the metal used to fabricate the box part of the vault. Both products had very high quality in materials and craftsmanship. The metal was equally thick, and the layout of all mounting holes was precise for both products.

When I compared the doors on the two vaults, there were a couple of major differences in design and materials that gave the Lock'er down a huge advantage in security.

The door on the ESP is flat and seems to be made of aluminum. The two small hinges are on the long edge and the cam lock located in the center of the opposite long edge. When it is locked I can easily pry up the edge enough with my bare hands to get my fingertips under the edge. I felt that I could have, with little effort, pried the door open.
cbc7a27785dcf55dedb35df599a40300.jpg
On the other hand, the Lock'er Down lid is made of the same gauge steel as the rest of the vault. The door is not just a flat lid either. It has a 90° downward return flange, with a stainless piano hinge on the short edge. The door fits flush in the opening and does not provide any easy point to pry on. Because of the shape and materials, it would be much more resistant to prying open.
0fe856e06db664e9842c249ed8b432c6.jpg
The lock tab on the ESP is much thicker and I think I will modify the one on the Lock'er Down to make it stronger.
a9ede3c1f186c7abfb6fbd50b7096e4f.jpg881c24934b341d43682934056eae77db.jpg
The mounting designs differed pretty significantly too.

The ESP is a one piece unit that utilizes 4 screws to attach it to the floor of the truck. Two of the screws are accessable after the vault is installed and door is locked. The ESP does come with a rubber gasket that goes between the mounting flange and the metal floor of the truck. I liked this and plan to fabricate one for the Lock'er Down. The ESP was very easy to install.
44a0c46ffc3940afa2df06ba0b466a0b.jpg
The Lock'er Down has two pieces. The mounting flange, and the vault assy. All made from the same heavy gauge steel. The flange mounts into the floor of the truck first, utilizing the 4 OEM mounting screws, AND the 2 OEM mounting bolts. Then the vault slides in and bolts to the flange from within the vault, leaving no mounting hardware exposed. It is a very solid installation and Superior design IMHO. it took a bit longer to install than the ESP, but it was not difficult at all.
707f981fded54f5d7033d99afff61ebe.jpgac74ae88aabc360c13b9d6ffc39b10e5.jpgbc6b2e497a6025d311f04aa48d3effca.jpg
For looks, and price, the ESP has the edge over the Lock'er Down. However, the Lock'er Down beats the ESP for security and overall value in my opinion.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

ddetta88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, my Lock'er down arrived this week and I installed it on the driver's side location this morning. I moved the ESP over and installed it on the passenger side. It gave me a good opportunity to do a side by side comparison of these two products.

The first thing I looked at was the quality of the welds and thickness of the metal used to fabricate the box part of the vault. Both products had very high quality in materials and craftsmanship. The metal was equally thick, and the layout of all mounting holes was precise for both products.

When I compared the doors on the two vaults, there were a couple of major differences in design and materials that gave the Lock'er down a huge advantage in security.

The door on the ESP is flat and seems to be made of aluminum. The two small hinges are on the long edge and the cam lock located in the center of the opposite long edge. When it is locked I can easily pry up the edge enough with my bare hands to get my fingertips under the edge. I felt that I could have, with little effort, pried the door open.
cbc7a27785dcf55dedb35df599a40300.jpg
On the other hand, the Lock'er Down lid is made of the same gauge steel as the rest of the vault. The door is not just a flat lid either. It has a 90° downward return flange, with a stainless piano hinge on the short edge. The door fits flush in the opening and does not provide any easy point to pry on. Because of the shape and materials, it would be much more resistant to prying open.
0fe856e06db664e9842c249ed8b432c6.jpg
The lock tab on the ESP is much thicker and I think I will modify the one on the Lock'er Down to make it stronger.
a9ede3c1f186c7abfb6fbd50b7096e4f.jpg881c24934b341d43682934056eae77db.jpg
The mounting designs differed pretty significantly too.

The ESP is a one piece unit that utilizes 4 screws to attach it to the floor of the truck. Two of the screws are accessable after the vault is installed and door is locked. The ESP does come with a rubber gasket that goes between the mounting flange and the metal floor of the truck. I liked this and plan to fabricate one for the Lock'er Down. The ESP was very easy to install.
44a0c46ffc3940afa2df06ba0b466a0b.jpg
The Lock'er Down has two pieces. The mounting flange, and the vault assy. All made from the same heavy gauge steel. The flange mounts into the floor of the truck first, utilizing the 4 OEM mounting screws, AND the 2 OEM mounting bolts. Then the vault slides in and bolts to the flange from within the vault, leaving no mounting hardware exposed. It is a very solid installation and Superior design IMHO. it took a bit longer to install than the ESP, but it was not difficult at all.
707f981fded54f5d7033d99afff61ebe.jpgac74ae88aabc360c13b9d6ffc39b10e5.jpgbc6b2e497a6025d311f04aa48d3effca.jpg
For looks, and price, the ESP has the edge over the Lock'er Down. However, the Lock'er Down beats the ESP for security and overall value in my opinion.

Awesome comparison thanks for taking the time to do that

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
As another option is this...

https://www.amazon.com/RAM-In-floor-Storage-Security-Lid/dp/B01AXDETHI

...I know it's just a door and uses the stock box but it's about $80 vs. $325 for the Lock'er Down. In my case, the stock box isn't staying though as my son, who welds, is welding up a nice steel box to mount in place of the stock one.

Thats the security lid I'm going to go with for the in floor storage.

I'm going to buy a center console Lock'er Down safe for about $275 and then get the cheaper $80 locking cover for the in floor storage...reason being is that the in floor storage is covered by the floor mat. Someone would have to know there is storage there first...then break in. I'm sure the cover is not as solid as the full Lock'er Down safe for the in floor spot...but I'm thinking the cover would be enough (and its 75% less cost).

To each their own though...that Lock'er Down in floor full safe looks solid.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Yes keep us posted Shady.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Never mind I see that you response already.

Shady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Thats the security lid I'm going to go with for the in floor storage.

I'm going to buy a center console Lock'er Down safe for about $275 and then get the cheaper $80 locking cover for the in floor storage...reason being is that the in floor storage is covered by the floor mat. Someone would have to know there is storage there first...then break in. I'm sure the cover is not as solid as the full Lock'er Down safe for the in floor spot...but I'm thinking the cover would be enough (and its 75% less cost).

To each their own though...that Lock'er Down in floor full safe looks solid.
Yes the initial cost is more. But as you say, to each his own. It depends what you are securing in it. If it is valuable enough to you, it will justify the higher cost.
Just like home security. Some people pay for state of the art, and some feel that a bunch of tin cans on a string is enough.