Long road trip, comfort recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chigurh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just made an 800 miles in a day there and back road trip in the new truck. Truck ran great, averaged 18-19 doing 75-80 on the freeway, love the V-8 for the grunt passing routine. I'm not getting younger but I am worn out at the end of 12-13 hours in the saddle, truck has standard cloth seating. I'm planning on upgrading to a perforated Katzkin setup in 6-9 months, any recommendations from folks who drive long distances on how to increase the comfort level of the seats?

RamHemi2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm younger. 27. I drive my 15 Ram 1500 express on long road trips in the summer. I get a small lumbar support pillow and get out and stretch every 3 hours just for 10 minutes. It helps a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I agree with RamHemi2500...add some lumbar support.

Also, see if you can't extend the front of the bottom cushion some to give you more support behind the knees.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Take your wife with you. You'll stop a lot more often. Also the heat and cool seats help a lot keeping me more comfortable on a long trip. Also I had to admit that I'm just getting to damn old to drive that kind of mileage in one stretch. Sad but true!!! :naughty::naughty:
Jay

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make a really good playlist of music that always helps me feel more comfortable while driving and it keeps the wife entertained when i sing along with my awsome singing talent lol :naughty:

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
im thinking about trying to put some early 3rd gen seats in my 2013, 4th gen seats suck IMO, my 03 has the best seats of any ram ive put my ass in

OP
OP
Chigurh

Chigurh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys, I'll throw a lumbar support on my Amazon wishlist and will look at the Bose setup.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i do a lot of travelling,and i've tried everything,and the best for me is to stop and stretch at certain spots,as we travel the same highways for the first 5 to 6 hundred kilometers.usually a short stretch every 100 km's.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Just did 2,800 miles , did about 700 miles a day. Did not have any complaints about the seats they fit me well and the wife was happy as well bit I set my arm/elbow on the door and my elbow was getting sore and nice padded arm rest would be nice like my old 69 has.

OP
OP
Chigurh

Chigurh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The armrest is rubber but doesn't give much...I still think the KingRranch interiors from 10-12 years ago were the most comfortable. I've seen reviews too where people say memory foam seats that some trucks have are nice. I do need to do more than just fill up and go, stretch and walk around a little bit.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I sit Indian style right over left with my feet on their sides while in cruise on long trips.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just made an 800 miles in a day there and back road trip in the new truck. Truck ran great, averaged 18-19 doing 75-80 on the freeway, love the V-8 for the grunt passing routine. I'm not getting younger but I am worn out at the end of 12-13 hours in the saddle, truck has standard cloth seating. I'm planning on upgrading to a perforated Katzkin setup in 6-9 months, any recommendations from folks who drive long distances on how to increase the comfort level of the seats?

my age is is in my info. that being said i can find a comfortable position between the electric seat adjustment and the tilt steering wheel. also have a lumbar adjustment. i would think your big horn has the same. i don't see how adding a leather seat cover is going to help.

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Drove mine about 16 hours to Pittsburgh shortly after I bought it. I never felt uncomfortable in mine. I guess my best tip would be to take stops when you start to feel sore, get out and stretch your muscles out a little bit. I mean I get general soreness, but it's nothing that I can't walk off but you're about twice my age so I can only imagine it being quite a bit worse for you.

Last edited:

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I'm 74 and drive about that much on our trips to Florida. I own a 14 Sport with the leather/cloth trim 10 way power seats and, personally, I think you are wasting time and money trying to upgrade the existing seats.

I sat in a Big Horn with the non-power seats and was surprised at how different and less comfortable they were than mine. With the power seats I can adjust the seat to let me run for several hours with out a stop.

Let me suggest that you go to a Ram dealership, set in a truck that has the power seats, both cloth and leather and see how adjustable they are.

If you like what you feel, look here for a set or go to car-parts.com and see what is available in the wrecking yards for your truck.

My understanding is all/most of the features can be programmed into your vehicle after installation. Just ask to be sure.

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I put about 4,000 miles/month on my truck. I just try not to get in a hurry and make regular stops...just walking into a rest area and back out helps.

I agree with a previous comment...if you're uncomfortable, adding seat covers won't help as it doesn't change the seat structure/adjustability at all.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I'm 74 and drive about that much on our trips to Florida. I own a 14 Sport with the leather/cloth trim 10 way power seats and, personally, I think you are wasting time and money trying to upgrade the existing seats.

I sat in a Big Horn with the non-power seats and was surprised at how different and less comfortable they were than mine. With the power seats I can adjust the seat to let me run for several hours with out a stop.

Let me suggest that you go to a Ram dealership, set in a truck that has the power seats, both cloth and leather and see how adjustable they are.

If you like what you feel, look here for a set or go to car-parts.com and see what is available in the wrecking yards for your truck.

My understanding is all/most of the features can be programmed into your vehicle after installation. Just ask to be sure.

I agree with this. Coming from a Big Horn to a Laramie i was surprised how much more comfortable and supportive the seats are. Mainly because i didnt think the cloth seats were that bad. But having more adjustment option including lumbar is a huge difference. They are also much softer. We just did the first trip in the Laramie, a 1600 mile trip with 800 a day and we were both very happy. It took much longer for my ass to start going numb lol.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956