Low velocity hvac

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

norville

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Summer is coming and I want to sort this out soon. Heat or A.C. the velocity of air flow out of the system is terrible. On high it's making a racket but not much comes out of the vents or floor or def. Now I've read that the condensers get clogged up with mud and it's a terrible pita to tear them out. I also read you can spray/wash them from where the fan is??? I've pulled the fan down but I can not see anything there.. am I just not looking at the right angle or does it not work for this year??

I'm not tearing out the dash, can I cut into the plastic from the front side to hose out mud, if it's there.??? Am I missing something?

Thanks
Bob

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Summer is coming and I want to sort this out soon. Heat or A.C. the velocity of air flow out of the system is terrible. On high it's making a racket but not much comes out of the vents or floor or def. Now I've read that the condensers get clogged up with mud and it's a terrible pita to tear them out. I also read you can spray/wash them from where the fan is??? I've pulled the fan down but I can not see anything there.. am I just not looking at the right angle or does it not work for this year??

I'm not tearing out the dash, can I cut into the plastic from the front side to hose out mud, if it's there.??? Am I missing something?

Thanks
Bob
Im using the tapatalk app, so I can't see what model truck you have. Are you sure it doesn't have a cabin filter?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

norville

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry 2011 no cabin filter. That next on my lost. I did lull out the fan and it spins well and fast. Is that maybe a better designed fan that can be slapped in?

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Sorry 2011 no cabin filter. That next on my lost. I did lull out the fan and it spins well and fast. Is that maybe a better designed fan that can be slapped in?
In your original post, you mentioned it makes a "racket". Do you just mean you can hear it spinning or is it actually noisy like the bearings are bad or something similar? If the fan is good for sure, unfortunately there's only two things between the fan and the vents. They are the condenser and the blend door. Niether of those are fun on any vehicle I've worked on.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

norville

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The fan spins fast and freely, the amount of air it sounds like it's pushing does not match up to what comes out the vents. Heats and cools well it's just takes forever. I can see the blend door actuator and it is moving correctly. So it comes back to my original suspicion of a clogged condenser.. any way to check it and or clean them without pulling the dash apart. Cause that's not happening...

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
Mine does same thing. No cabin filter when I bought it with 92k miles. I could reach the condenser through the fan hole and mine is packed with mud. I have no idea how one would go about washing it out without making a mess of the interior. I basically have 2 fan speeds usable, anything past second notch just makes more fan noise. I'll be ripping mine apart this summer.....:pp:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Get yourself a USB bore-scope and look down the vents and in through the blower.

It would be the evaporator​ that could be plugged, the condenser is in front of the radiator.

Last edited:

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The evaporator is right behind the white tag on the HVAC unit and a little to the right, almost were the HVAC unit bolts together. It is higher than the heater core which is to the left and lower. You can see the angled smooth plastic below the hanging door motor. Any wash will go down there and possibly out of the lower vents.

IMG_2356-ac-system_zps5260wqn0.jpg

Check out this 4 part you tube video, it has a lot of excellent information. It is mainly about removal and repair but it is about a plugged up evaporator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWCjuXxBhlY&list=PLM_FgFcXdM5otFEcZHIN5hamPS3w8pcxR&index=26

Video #4 is the evaporator.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

norville

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I picked up a bore scope and removed the fan. Scoping what I can see the evaporator is clean as a whistle..I can see though the core no problem.

Is it just a crappy designed fan? It spins fine, and the motor is quiet, it just doesn't seem to put out the air like it sounds like it should.. Is there a better fan blade setup I can swap?

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like the fan just may be tired and worn out, also check the resister for the fan they can cause problems also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963