Lower Glovebox Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i had some led strip left over from doing my puddle lights and decided to light up my lower glovebox. i used a "normally closed" momentary switch from Radioshack to activate the led strip when the glove box is opened. There are 2 rubber bumpers that the door rests on in the upper corners. i pulled out the right one and replaced it with the switch. the hole size in the dash for these bumpers is just a tad too small for the switch to fit in, but with a little wiggling of the switch, it fits through the hole. i did not need to drill the hole any larger. this was nice, as if i ever wanted to take it all out, the rubber bumper fits back into the hole. i chose to use the right one vs. the left because there is a steel support bar that crosses behind the length of the glove box, but ends before the area on the right that i put the switch. (will make sense when you look for it) this way there was no interference with that support bar and the wiring/back of switch. i drilled a very small hole in the upper corner of the glovebox opening area and ran the wires through. i then ran the wires over to the back of the passenger side cigarette lighter and got power from there. this has constant 12v, so even when the truck is off, the glove box will light up when opened. heres the switch mounted, and a picture of the bumper for comparison.

IMG_1355.jpg

here is the led strip fitted to the upper recessed area.

IMG_1351.jpg

and the glovebox lit up.

IMG_1352.jpg

you cannot see the led strip when mounted, (from anywhere sitting in the truck) as the upper "lip" is recessed into the dash, and is just enough to hide it. i imagine you could do this with any sort of light fixture or whatever you'd like to use. this was just a simple, cheap solution to get some light in the lower glovebox.

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Nice! Now I'm going to have to do that too.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The top box does have the option for the factory light. The plug is on the right side behind the upper bin. Nice job on the bottom light mod. Looks nice!

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
I just found out my 2015 Laramie does not have a lower glove box light((((((((((((((
When I posted in this thread, I was sure a Laramie package would of had that, I was sadly mistaken, what a crock.
Can a stock light be put in the lower portion very easy?

Canadian Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 SLT
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Thanks! Just did this on my truck last night. Works awesome!