Map light problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I replaced my dome and map light with LEDs. The map lights were a pain to get out but finally got them out and popped the LED in place. Now the driver's side map light is screwed up. When I push on it there's no resistance and it doesn't turn on. I pulled the cover off again and nothing dropped out so I don't think anything broke. When I originally popped the cover back on there was no sound or feel that anything broke. If I stick a small screwdriver tip up into that little space in the reflector the light will come on so I know the LED's good and its installed with the polarity correct. Also the light doesn't come on when the door opens. I'm kind of afraid to pull the other one off for a look as I don't want to screw that up too.

Any idea what I did and how to fix it? Thanks.

res1551cue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If when you stick a screw driver up there and the light clicks and comes on maybe you need to turn the lens around. It is just my guess as I do not know what your interior looks like as the Rebel interior is slightly different.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does it click when you push on the cover? When I installed mine, the button inside that actually turns on the light when you push the lens came out of socket. So I had to pull down part of the fixture and pop it back into place.

OP
OP
Cummins Dog

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Does it click when you push on the cover? When I installed mine, the button inside that actually turns on the light when you push the lens came out of socket. So I had to pull down part of the fixture and pop it back into place.

No, its like there's nothing there to push against. No pressure at all. Sounds like what you're describing might be it.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
sounds like to me the tab that hits the switch is broken or not lining up?
without seeing or hearing or not hearing what it is doing it would be hard to say.
Sorry

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you take off the lens you should see a tab on the lens that pushes a white button with activates the light. Either the tab broke or the white button came out of socket.

OP
OP
Cummins Dog

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Fixed it! As SwollenMonkey16 posted, I guess I somehow pushed the actual switch, up inside the overhead console, off of its mount and even off its contacts. It was just laying up there loose. I guess when I stuck the screwdriver up there I was hitting a couple of the contacts (there's 3 for that switch) and causing the light to go on that way. Anyway, it was an easy fix, just plugged the switch back in and popped the overhead console back in place. I'm thinking, since I didn't feel any resistance or anything when it initially popped off the contacts, that it might have been loose from the factory.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I had an idea, but glad it's fixed.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for this post...this happened to me this morning.

I was worried I had to resolder the switch.