Need help deciding on window tint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
First... Yes I did use the search function!

I am blacking out the factory back passenger windows and back windshield with at least 15% tint next week. Also doing a 5% brow on the front windshield.

I had 5% all around w/brow on my GMC Sonoma, WRX, Camaro and Silverado so I know it is dark but.... I am moving to eastern NC and I know it rains a lot. I had to roll my windows down to park with 5%. I was able to handle it before but I'm afraid 5% is too dark.

I am on the fence about going with 5% all around, or putting 15% on the front passenger windows. Need to decide! Would like some pictures of 5% and 15% on the front passenger windows.

p.s. may do 50% on the front window too...

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I have 20 on mines and it matches with the rear.2476dc87492e2984eb952cbc0a1adab0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gwerner74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Do you have "a guy" to handle your inspections every year? Tint that dark on the front windows won't pass in NC. I just went through it with my Ram a couple weeks ago, it was originally a SC truck and had 5% all around, had to strip the front windows to pass inspection.

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5 on the back and 15 on the front. Not the best pic to showcase the tint, but its the only pic Ive taken of my truck. Pic was taken at 1pm on a mostly sunny day.

1ae9d50cfd8418f619e03f7c7150769c.jpg

OP
OP
H1Chester

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Do you have "a guy" to handle your inspections every year? Tint that dark on the front windows won't pass in NC. I just went through it with my Ram a couple weeks ago, it was originally a SC truck and had 5% all around, had to strip the front windows to pass inspection.

Gwerner74, I am active duty Marine Corps with Florida plates. No inspection required.

Florida plates definitely worked in my favor in SoCal, when a SD cop tried to pull me over in my WRX once and I had very CA illegal long tube headers without cats on my Camaro!

cpotts13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
20% on the sides and back and 40% on the entire windshield.

4b72c6a521459110349324735edc98e1.jpg

OP
OP
H1Chester

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
5 on the back and 15 on the front. Not the best pic to showcase the tint, but its the only pic Ive taken of my truck. Pic was taken at 1pm on a mostly sunny day.

1ae9d50cfd8418f619e03f7c7150769c.jpg

Thanks for the pic! That is the angle I am looking for, more perpendicular. I am trying to see how dark it is from that direction.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I currently have 5% all the way around with 30% on the windshield and a 5% tint stripe.

I don't think I will ever own a vehicle without at least 5% all around. It is so much better in the day time its worth it at night to roll the windows down.

I actually am having a second 5% layer put on tomorrow morning. I'll snap a pic if you want to see that craziness.

Backup camera really does help too.

OP
OP
H1Chester

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I currently have 5% all the way around with 30% on the windshield and a 5% tint stripe.

I don't think I will ever own a vehicle without at least 5% all around. It is so much better in the day time its worth it at night to roll the windows down.

I actually am having a second 5% layer put on tomorrow morning. I'll snap a pic if you want to see that craziness.

Backup camera really does help too.

I am leaning towards the 5%, so nice to have in the daytime.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 30% on the windshield really had me nervous at first. I am not sure if I would go that dark if I could do it over again. It has quite a bit of reflections from the dash at times. If you wear polarized sunglasses its 100% gone though.

I'm not sure if it is because of the darkness of the tint or if it has to do with the type of tint used. Just something to be aware of if you haven't done it before.

OP
OP
H1Chester

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yeah I may go with 50% over the entire windshield.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gwerner74, I am active duty Marine Corps with Florida plates. No inspection required.

Florida plates definitely worked in my favor in SoCal, when a SD cop tried to pull me over in my WRX once and I had very CA illegal long tube headers without cats on my Camaro!
Thank you for you're service.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have any recommendations on tint, but I do have a question to you guys that are more knowledgeable about it. Is it true that tint will get darker with age? I was at a tire store that does inspections and the guy told one of his customers that window tint gets darker with age and maybe next year or shortly after his car would no longer pass inspection with that window tint. I know they charge extra for inspections If you don't have factory tint.

OP
OP
H1Chester

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I don't have any recommendations on tint, but I do have a question to you guys that are more knowledgeable about it. Is it true that tint will get darker with age? I was at a tire store that does inspections and the guy told one of his customers that window tint gets darker with age and maybe next year or shortly after his car would no longer pass inspection with that window tint. I know they charge extra for inspections If you don't have factory tint.

I've never heard that before!

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you dont have to worry about inspection... black them out. I did 13% on my sides and 20% on my rear ( so that I could still see out of my back window some lol). I love my tint. I did 20% on the sides when I first did it and had it removed within a week.

If you can go dark and you dont care about rolling your window down at night to see from time to time. The answer is join the Dark side

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

It depends on the type of tint. Cheap tint like SunGard brand is a dye only film. This type will lighten with age. I've never heard of any tint darkening with age and sun exposure. SunGard is a low quality film that is reflected in it's price. A quote for my truck was $140 for all the windows in 5% minus the windshield. During my three hour wait today I watched three people come in and buy this tint.

One step up is a metallic and dye film. It resists fading much better than a cheap tint like SunGard. (Didn't get a quote on this tint)

I had the shop use Winco ceramic tint today. It is considered to be some of the best film available right now. My quote was $440 with two layers of 5% and the windshield at 30% with a 5% strip up top. Thankfully I only paid $180 because the shop charges less for a, "re-tint." This is the second time I've had tint done in the nearly two months I've owned the truck.

I highly recommend the ceramic tint. Visually, right after they finished my truck it looked better than the dye metallic I previously had. While running errands today I could tell a drastic difference between the mid level tint and premium tint. The truck seemed to stay cooler between stops at different stores. The AC seems much, much cooler as well. This was in 110 degree temperatures during a heat warning in phoenix.

Take this with a grain of salt though... I am no expert when it comes to tint. And I previously only had a single layer where I now have dual layers. So maybe the difference is the dual layer now? Who knows?

Sorry for jacking your thread op. Can't wait to see what you do to your truck! Just go dark man. I had to do mine twice because I didn't go dark enough.

Here's a few pics of my tint now. Dual 5% is awesome. You should do that lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20170902_120704088_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170902_120704088_HDR.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20170902_120801873_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170902_120801873_HDR.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20170902_120810325_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170902_120810325_HDR.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
OP
OP
H1Chester

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It depends on the type of tint. Cheap tint like SunGard brand is a dye only film. This type will lighten with age. I've never heard of any tint darkening with age and sun exposure. SunGard is a low quality film that is reflected in it's price. A quote for my truck was $140 for all the windows in 5% minus the windshield. During my three hour wait today I watched three people come in and buy this tint.

One step up is a metallic and dye film. It resists fading much better than a cheap tint like SunGard. (Didn't get a quote on this tint)

I had the shop use Winco ceramic tint today. It is considered to be some of the best film available right now. My quote was $440 with two layers of 5% and the windshield at 30% with a 5% strip up top. Thankfully I only paid $180 because the shop charges less for a, "re-tint." This is the second time I've had tint done in the nearly two months I've owned the truck.

I highly recommend the ceramic tint. Visually, right after they finished my truck it looked better than the dye metallic I previously had. While running errands today I could tell a drastic difference between the mid level tint and premium tint. The truck seemed to stay cooler between stops at different stores. The AC seems much, much cooler as well. This was in 110 degree temperatures during a heat warning in phoenix.

Take this with a grain of salt though... I am no expert when it comes to tint. And I previously only had a single layer where I now have dual layers. So maybe the difference is the dual layer now? Who knows?

Sorry for jacking your thread op. Can't wait to see what you do to your truck! Just go dark man. I had to do mine twice because I didn't go dark enough.

Here's a few pics of my tint now. Dual 5% is awesome. You should do that lol.

Dang! 2 layers of 5%? I've only had the 5% on my other vehicles.

I am leaning towards 5% all around, 50% windshield and 5% brow in the ceramic.

A05GSHO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Have had 20% on all my vehicles, which is dark enough for me.

Attachments

• 100_1710.jpg
    100_1710.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 34