No-hassle, drill-free holster mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhira

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pistol holster-mount (no drilling, no hassle)

Hey guys, so for a while I've been thinking of good ways to install a holster mount in my 2016 Ram 1500. Nothing I researched online really appealed to me, until I found out a way to re-purpose a cheap holster I had (brands in the description):

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQtXYvrF61H/

I really like this setup. I've practiced drawing from it several times with no problem. Thought some of you might like this as well.

Rambo182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Thx for sharing. Finally found a good use for that stupid skinny crevice along the console.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dhira

dhira

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hahah, I found them pretty useful actually. It's where I keep my insurance papers.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
That is a good idea too bad my 2015 SLT has the jump seat lol I will have to try that with my door pockets. Great video

Rambo182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Nice free HarborFreight flashlight! Where are you from? Do you have a CC?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice. I did the same thing with an Uncle Mikes holster! It works ok but it's a soft material, looks like that molded one would work better. Might have to buy that one.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It does work pretty well. That's how I have my holster mounted. It has a nice stiff spring steel clip and does not move around at all yet I can pull it out and take it with me when needed.

sriley531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do this same thing as well with a holster I wasn't otherwise using. It's one of this style, and what I like is when not in use it doesn't scream "GUN HOLSTER!!" since it's just a oval-ish shaped piece. And it fits multiple guns.

6ded9d93f3db067d35b855a761381be6.jpg

OP
OP
dhira

dhira

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice free HarborFreight flashlight! Where are you from? Do you have a CC?

Haha, good catch. I'm from South Texas (Corpus Christi area) and yep, I conceal carry a Glock 43 (looking to try a 26 soon).

I do this same thing as well with a holster I wasn't otherwise using. It's one of this style, and what I like is when not in use it doesn't scream "GUN HOLSTER!!" since it's just a oval-ish shaped piece. And it fits multiple guns.

6ded9d93f3db067d35b855a761381be6.jpg

Yeah, I like that the location of the side pockets are already fairly low, so it's not immediately recognizable to someone just peering into the truck quickly.

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hahah, I found them pretty useful actually. It's where I keep my insurance papers.

Just be careful if you're ever pulled over and the Officer asks to see your insurance papers.

OP
OP
dhira

dhira

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just be careful if you're ever pulled over and the Officer asks to see your insurance papers.

This is entirely legal, with or without a license. Texas, baby! :p

Though I will say this, I take certain steps before the officer gets to my vehicle to avoid confusion/incidents by:

1. Having both my driver's license and LTC already in hand (even if I don't have my firearm with me), with both hands on steering wheel (10 and 2)
2. Inside lights on if it's dark, so officer can see inside easily.
3. Insurance papers already out (usually just put it on top of center console)
4. When asked for ID, I say something along the lines of "here's my driver's license along with my license to carry" ... if they ask if I'm carrying, I always let them know where the firearm is, if I have it, and ask them how they would like to proceed. This is super important, IMO, because it allows them to be in control of the situation and do whatever is most comfortable for them.

In practice, every cop (so far) has just handed me back my LTC as soon as I presented it.

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This is entirely legal, with or without a license. Texas, baby! :p

Though I will say this, I take certain steps before the officer gets to my vehicle to avoid confusion/incidents by:

1. Having both my driver's license and LTC already in hand (even if I don't have my firearm with me), with both hands on steering wheel (10 and 2)
2. Inside lights on if it's dark, so officer can see inside easily.
3. Insurance papers already out (usually just put it on top of center console)
4. When asked for ID, I say something along the lines of "here's my driver's license along with my license to carry" ... if they ask if I'm carrying, I always let them know where the firearm is, if I have it, and ask them how they would like to proceed. This is super important, IMO, because it allows them to be in control of the situation and do whatever is most comfortable for them.

In practice, every cop (so far) has just handed me back my LTC as soon as I presented it.

Good procedure and the proper way to do it. And I have no doubt you're legal. The comment was more for others to think about if they want to do something similar. I guess the main message is to be smart and don't be reaching for stuff around where a firearm is kept until instructed by the officer or bad things could happen.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Whenever I've been stopped they just give me my CHL (LTC if you must) back when I hand it to them, never even ask I'm carrying. I don't get stopped so maybe I haven't been stopped by the ****, majority of LEO's are pretty constitutional in my area though. I got a magnet mounted on the lower section of my dash from Gun Magnets, it's at the perfect angle to reach down and grab. I'll throw some pics up if any body is interested.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Loose holsters are pretty unappealing. Other than cost it is just cheap.

Here is the no-drill system I came up with, just remove the M8 seat bolt and install the Ram 1" M8 ball.

Dara custom kydex holster
Ram 1" M8 ball
Ram 6" arm

HeElO8p.jpg
wlY0cmt.jpg
hBj7Gtn.jpg

You can adjust the mount to point sights forward for center console trucks. This is a solid mount, no movement or rattling. I throw a beanie over the pistol to reduce visibility when I want.

OP
OP
dhira

dhira

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Unappealing how? I drive with this setup every where and it doesn't move at all, even on bumpy terrain and potholes. I'd argue that my setup does everything that yours does, and more. It's cheaper, requires no tools, and the holster can be unmounted at any time in about 1 second (either to hide the holster or to carry it on your person).

Not bashing your setup btw, just providing food for thought for others who may run across this thread.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser

Here is the no-drill system I came up with, just remove the M8 seat bolt and install the Ram 1" M8 ball.

Dara custom kydex holster
Ram 1" M8 ball
Ram 6" arm

HeElO8p.jpg
wlY0cmt.jpg
hBj7Gtn.jpg

You can adjust the mount to point sights forward for center console trucks. This is a solid mount, no movement or rattling. I throw a beanie over the pistol to reduce visibility when I want.

I like that, looks even better in 4HI!

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I'm interested! Haha

I'll go out at lunch and get some pics, "technically" I'm not supposed to have have firearms on the workplace property, but it was cleared with HR management as long as it's put away.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The video you posted shows the holster sliding forward, backward, and lifting until the belt hook catches at the top of map pocket lip. It as also dependent on having a center console.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452