No In-Cabin Air Filter... why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I bought my truck in Feb of this year. It is a 2013 Sport Ram 1500. I am a bit shocked as to why Ram decided our trucks don't need a in cabin air filter. Anyone else know as to why? I called my dealership about it and they say there are Mods out there but they sometimes mess up the HVAC system and my warranty would be nulled (I bought the 5 year all stuff covered one for 2 grand). Anyone know a way to filter the air without I guess cutting plastic or has everyone just said f**k it?

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The mod didn't cause any issue on my 2015. They will have to prove that what you have done directly caused the issue with the hvac in case of a warranty claim. So for example if you have a blown ac compressor they can't blame the filter...

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Craw

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have seen many people doing... I am just kinda annoyed/upset as to why Dodge thought we want to inhale f**ken dust or have it all over our interior.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
IMO your dealer is full of it! The AF will keep alot of crap out of the coil ! Just take your tik=me cutting, Do not use a rotary tool because of the plastic dust/chips could fall into the fan, But do not see that doing any damage

LumberJakl

Reaction score
Ram Year
'17 Sport QC
Engine
5.7L 4x4
My 2017 came with one from factory, but my previous 2016 didn't

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
The answer to why is probably money.

OP
OP
Craw

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Trying to get some word from my local dealer about having them "install" the ten minute air filter job. I rather not void the warranty even though I know I could fight it with federal law but rather just have them do it.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Just do it yourself. They will charge you a minimum of 1 hour to do 10 minutes worth of work. The door and filter are readily available.

Installing it won't void your warranty if you use the MOPAR part for the door and a good filter.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If they have started putting the filters in New trucks, what issue could you cause by doing the filter mod. I would find another dealer for service.

OP
OP
Craw

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Where can I get the kit? I found a dealership to do it for 100 bucks. I know I know... but I dont want to do it and have money to burn lol.

OP
OP
Craw

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I am scheduled for Next Tuesday. Will cost 100 bucks for them to do it.. whatever, one less thing for me do and no way for a warranty to be void f**k it lol.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yes that is the correct one, I just did this mod myself this past weekend. I have the maxcare warranty and was told this will not void anything. I am protecting the system by keeping dust and other crap out of it.

You do what make you feel comfortable, but I would keep in mind that the dealer telling you it will void warranty is BS and might be an indication of other stuff they might pull later on. And I totally understand not wanting to do certain things to void the warranty, all the of mods I have done I make sure to call the dealer ahead of time.

Good luck!

-B-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
dealer is full of it on it voiding the warranty I did mine and 6 months latter evap core let go fixed under warranty and said smart move with the filter as it will make the next core last 10x as long

assblaster5000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Really strange, just left dealership for my lifetime free oilchange.. they popped the air filter door open and said there was no cabin air filter. It's a 2016 1500 sxt 5.7l

Anyone know what that is about? Tech said the door was in there. The housing for a filter is there. No cabin Air filter. The hell...

He figures do some research so i don't put one in there and have it ruin the system somehow.

Sounds to me like it could take a filter if the door and all that is there.

Anyone able to explain the mystery as to why they reused the cabin airfilter box in this model yet put no filter in it?

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really strange, just left dealership for my lifetime free oilchange.. they popped the air filter door open and said there was no cabin air filter. It's a 2016 1500 sxt 5.7l

Anyone know what that is about? Tech said the door was in there. The housing for a filter is there. No cabin Air filter. The hell...

He figures do some research so i don't put one in there and have it ruin the system somehow.

Anyone able to explain the mystery as to why they reused the cabin airfilter box in this model yet put no filter in it?
Costs less to build one mold for both filters, and non-filtered trucks. Why you have the door, and not the filter, that is a bit odd. Usually if they don't "knock out" the cover, you don't have the door, as the door is like $20 from Autozone. (Probably only about $1.23 to Stellaris/FCA, but...) Why you have the door, and no filter is really weird.

But a lot of places (IE Jiffylube/Firestone) don't know that SOME Rams have cabin filters, and some do not. I actually had one guy look into it for me, and said my truck didn't, only to find that it was seriously overdue for a change... Best guess? Someone knocked it out, then saw on the B.O.M. that you weren't supposed to get the upgrade... But had to cover the hole.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

It may have been removed and not replaced sometime in the past. Or the factory installed the duct that had the opening but when finishing the build the option codes on the build sheet didn't include the cabin air filter and it was never installed.

My 2007 MegaCab didn't come with the option but I added it. You can get the kit, cut the airbox where marked on the box, install the filter & snap in the door provided with the kit.

You won't "ruin the system somehow" by putting in the filter. I'd clean out the air ducts first, install a filter, run it for a while, then put in a fresh filter. It does make a difference in cabin air quality when installed.