Outside temperature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grumpy Ol' Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
On my last two trucks, neither one a Ram, the outside temperature indication was right on. Certainly, when the truck had been sitting in the sun, the temp would go up. As soon as the truck started moving, it quickly dropped back to the correct ambient temperature.
On my 2014 Big Horn, the temp seems all over the board. This morning we had frost, I had to scrape the windshield, and the television said it was 35 degrees when I left the house. Started off the truck said it was 45, dropped to mid-30's, five miles later was in the mid-50's, before it settled down to close to correct temp.
Has anyone else had issues with the temperture reading on the dash moving up and down and varying from what actual outside temps are??

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Mine is normally 3-5 degrees off consistantly and sometimes up to 10 witch drives me insane.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check with your dealer, there was a re-flash to correct temperature readings. Mine is off too, by 3 to 5 degrees, but it doesn't bother me enough to bring it in.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I haven't really paid any attention to it. When I do look, it seems pretty accurate.

Galion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine's about as accurate as any other vehicle ambient temp gauge.

soldiercowboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l 4x4 Tradesman crew cab
Yep about 3-5 degrees high in summer and lower in wintet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Grumpy Ol' Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
That will take some getting used to. Outside temps are important in my line of work. And, traveling in all weather conditions, 3-5 degrees can mean quite a difference in road conditions.
Thank you all for your comments!!! That tells me it's not just my truck and is something that, if important to me, will required a solution other than merely changing out the OEM unit.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That will take some getting used to. Outside temps are important in my line of work. And, traveling in all weather conditions, 3-5 degrees can mean quite a difference in road conditions.
Thank you all for your comments!!! That tells me it's not just my truck and is something that, if important to me, will required a solution other than merely changing out the OEM unit.

As I previously stated, there was a correction issued for the problem via a flash. I had the specific information on it but cant find it. Call the dealer, they can hook you up.

Cyborg2337

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya, look into that. Sounds like you have quite a fluctuation in temp change. Mine is accurate, within a degree or two. And in the summer when it first reads hot it settles in accurately pretty quickly. Best of luck with it!

jdomke1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Where does the vehicle get its outside temp data from? I ask because I just upgraded my radio from a 5.0 to 8.4 and also added the cold air intake kit. Now my outside temp indicates about 40 degrees off. For instance, it was 90 yesterday and the temp reported 130. It was never like this before. Did the radio upgrade cause this or something to do with the cold air intake replacement??? I'm confused.

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, mine consistently reads 3-5 degrees colder than actual. Although this is after having my drivers side mirror replaced, with the original it was accurate.

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your job depends on your truck to give you the correct temp then i would buy a more accurate temp gauge. The designers of the truck and said temp gauge was and is not meant for high accuracy.