Overhead Console Map Lights w/LED ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daCelt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey folks,
I recently replaced my overhead console map lights (the ones you can push to turn on) with LEDs. When you open the doors, they come on and look great and turn off when they should. My only "problem" is that when you press the lens as if to use it as a map light (with doors closed), it won't come on.
Now, I may do this once every year...so it may never be an issue... but..

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
Does it work when the motor is running? I know mine will flash on and off if I turn on the maps with the motor off, but they will work normally when it's running. Other than that, I'm not too sure, hopefully someone else can chime in and help you out

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
That doesn't make sense.. You're 194s have metal contacts on all 4 sides of the LED base?

OP
OP
daCelt

daCelt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yup, just like that. Mine works when the doors are open and when i start the engine, it dims out as it should. They even work with the button when the engine is on, but not when the engine is off.

Bombdigitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any one figure out how to make them stop blinking when the truck is off? Probably a resistor would do the trick, but there isn't a lot of room up there.

CaptNkllm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I have read if you put the regular bulb back in the glove box when they are on they won't blink

Capt

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yup, just like that. Mine works when the doors are open and when i start the engine, it dims out as it should. They even work with the button when the engine is on, but not when the engine is off.

Yup, I just figured that out too. They wont work with the truck off if you want to push them with the doors closed.

MrHarleyGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Buddy just got a Laramie, and noticed that it had clear lens's with led bulbs for the map lights. Maybe can source those bulbs from somewhere and see if they work ?

awo1aggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 Megacab Bighorn 4x4
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
I'm gonna go ahead and bump this. Has anyone figured out how to get them to work with the engine off and doors closed? The stock bulbs allowed you to turn them on at anytime but not these LED's I got. (194 5 SMD LED wide angle wedge base bulbs from superbrightleds) It didn't work with the 921 LED's either.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
I have yet to try this but had you tried putting in a resistor? I read somewhere about needing to put a small resistor to make the light work properly and not back feed into the system.

Might be worth a shot.

awo1aggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
I am having to do that with my back up lighs cause they draw such low voltage the truck thinks they are burnt out. I wouldn't know what wattage resistor to use or where to loop it in at. I don't want to have to pull down the headliner.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm gonna go ahead and bump this. Has anyone figured out how to get them to work with the engine off and doors closed? The stock bulbs allowed you to turn them on at anytime but not these LED's I got. (194 5 SMD LED wide angle wedge base bulbs from superbrightleds) It didn't work with the 921 LED's either.

No that I think about it. It's probably safety feature so you wont run your battery down.

Just have to use he dial by the headlight switch.

awo1aggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
But the incadescents will turn on without the keys in it. I talked with c/s at superbrights adn they are saying add a resistor to them as well. Man I don't want to chase wires!

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
But the incadescents will turn on without the keys in it. I talked with c/s at superbrights adn they are saying add a resistor to them as well. Man I don't want to chase wires!

Ok, I never knew. First thing I did was put in LEDs when I bought the truck. lol

Must be another stupid dodge thing. I have LEDs in my other two cars and can switch the map lights and rear reading lights on whenever I want.

Is it really that big of a deal?

awo1aggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Not really, I can't think of when I have had to use them without the truck on but for someone who can get OCD about things, making it work like it did before bugs me.

Nikolang24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L Big Horn
Does any of your interior lights come on when you turn the key to off without having to open the doors? Or do you guys all manually turn on the lights or open the door? Just trying to figure out if its a factory thing or if its normal?

jaredb909

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Where are you guys getting the LEDs

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk