Passenger Air bag question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pic18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How can I tell if the passenger air bag is on when someone is sitting in the passenger seat? Other vehicles I've owned had a light that showed it was on.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
You could get in a wreck, but that doesn't seem like a good way to test it... lol

I didn't even know our trucks had auto sensing airbags that shut off....

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I downloaded your owners manual and after reading this paragraph, it would seem that as long as the seatbelt is fastened in the passenger seat, the air bag is on.

This vehicle may be equipped with a driver and/or front
passenger seat belt buckle switch that detects whether
the driver or front passenger seat belt is fastened. The
seat belt buckle switch may adjust the inflation rate of the
Advanced Front Air Bags.

Red 2012 Crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah I noticed the warning sticker on the sunvisor that said we had "active" airbags but I was also wondering how they worked. My old chevy had a light on the upper consol that said if it was on or off. The seat had a weight sensor in it and it had to have like 75lbs in it before it would turn on.

brandon.colt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if not mistaken...
With newer vehicles (early-mid 2000s), there is a sensor in the passenger seats. Seat belt warning chimes if someone is sitting in the seat and belts not fastened, the same sensor activates the air bag. If no weight is detected in the seat it deactivates the air bag. That way if the driver is the only person in the vehicle during a wreck it doesn't set off all the airbags.

joeg45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hmmmmmm thats strange when i got in a wreck in my express both the passenger and mine went off and i was the only one in the truck

Black Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^same here - I t-boned a car and both airbags went off. I was the only one in the truck.

partsguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
there were strain guages in some vehicles back in 06-07 that detected weight. they became an annoyance to women putting their purses in the passenger seat and the like. they did away with them and now use a multi-stage deployment system. the still have classification modules to tell how heavy someone is but they dont disable. the only vehicle that you can disable the airbag on is a single cab truck that i know of. it has a manual switch to turn it off

OP
OP
P

Pic18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies. My daughter is heavy enough to activate the passenger airbag in my ex Silverado, but not in my wife's Fusion. When she sits in the passenger side of the Ram, I can't tell if the air bag is on.

So the consensus is that the passenger airbag is on when the seat is buckled I guess.