Plastic Key Longevity?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck came with the plastic key you insert into the dash and turn. Have these been an issue when it comes to wearing out fast? I tried a search and could find much.

Is it possible to upgrade to the keyless system the higher end trucks come with?

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The FOBIK (plastic key) for my Challenger is over 8 years old and works just as good as it did on day one. As long as you don't break it, it should last forever or at least until the inside electronics give out. The Keyless "Push to Go" wouldn't really last any long since it's got electronics in it too. I'm not sure on a RAM but I know a few Challenger people tried to switch to the "Push to Go" keyless system and found it was impossible to add after the fact due to numerous extra parts and programming stuff needed to add it.

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Have the plastic "key" for both my Ram and the wife's Jeep Cherokee. So far no problems with mine but on the Jeep (which is identical to the Ram "key" except it says "Jeep" instead of "Ram" on it - same company, of course) one of them all of a sudden got real sensitive. I couldn't put it in my pocket or even touch it without it unlocking the Cherokee. I opened it up and the little round piece of metal that is glued to the rubber "button" had come off and was just kicking around in there randomly causing contact whenever the "key" was moved. I just glued it back on with a drop of epoxy and it was back to normal.

OP
OP
grizzstang

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is good to hear there are no big issues in the short term. I am curious how they will hold up over time and use. I know the metal key on my old Ford was showing some good wear after 10 years of ownership. I would think that the plastic key and ignition switch would both be pretty susceptible to wear over the long haul.

noclass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your old ford key was metal on metal wear. The ram key is only coming into contact with plastic

OP
OP
grizzstang

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^Very true, but I also could lubricate the old style ignition switch with some graphite spray, where the new switch is dry plastic rubbing together.