Possible LED strip power sources

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bgranhold

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Quad Cab
Engine
Hi guys! I've been in some cars that have had ambient lighting, and I have to say that I pretty much love that feature. I saw a few mods on here that have it like footwell and cup holders lit up, but I was wondering about lighting up the pockets on the door panel. I have some extra LED strips lying around and will see if it looks good later, but if it does work I was wanting to know if it was possible and not ridiculous to tap into a wire to the window switches to see if I can use that to power them, as I'd want to use that to try to get them to dim along with the switch. I know that LEDs don't draw much power, but I'm not sure how much power the switch gets in the first place. Thanks in advance!

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Interesting thought. I wanna see pics when you get it done.

2015HemiSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Both the window motors and heated mirrors should have constant power and draw more power than your led strip would.

isharj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I put some Laramie door panels in my Express and they have harnesses for what appears to be LEDs as well. Of course my Express had no connectors for them. I want to wire them up so they come on with the headlights at night.

OP
OP
B

bgranhold

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Quad Cab
Engine
Nice, I assume using the window switch would have a wire that would work with that. I'll post pics later of how it looks with the strip on at night, my Rebel Ti5 should capture it well

isharj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I assume so as well. Just haven't had time to go out there and figure out if there is one that is only hot when the headlights are on.

OP
OP
B

bgranhold

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Quad Cab
Engine
Can anyone get me the colors of the wires and what they mean? I am lost, couldn't find anything on the web, but I'm trying to find the illumination wire