push button start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big john 02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone add one of these to your truck? if so what all is required?

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A lot. If you have oem remote start, that module needs changing. You need a new wiring harness, new door handles , and a new ignition hardness / parts.

Its quite expensive too when you factor in cost and labor (you can't do it). You also need a new set of keys and fobs, as well as a reflash for your vin

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There is a aftermarket kit out there. The factory option would be way more trouble ,if you could even get it to work.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not really worth it imo.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have this push to start in my Challenger, and I did not want it in my Rebel. There is to much that can go wrong with all of the extra electronics, plus I had to use the key more than once to get home.

mdxers11

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Flame Red
Engine
5.7 hemi
A lot. If you have oem remote start, that module needs changing. You need a new wiring harness, new door handles , and a new ignition hardness / parts.

Its quite expensive too when you factor in cost and labor (you can't do it). You also need a new set of keys and fobs, as well as a reflash for your vin

just curious, why do you need new door handles and ignition? The new start/stop ignition box could be swapped for the one with the key, and new fobs. then possibly reflash

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just curious, why do you need new door handles and ignition? The new start/stop ignition box could be swapped for the one with the key, and new fobs. then possibly reflash

With the push start/stop they also have the ability to unlock the doors without touching the key fob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With the push start/stop they also have the ability to unlock the doors without touching the key fob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you've had a car with this functionality, for years.. then you move to a truck without it, you'll find out VERY quickly why it's such a good feature. I HATE having to dig in my pocket for my keys to unlock the damn thing. I love being able to walk up to my durango, and bam, unlocked. Oh gosh how I miss it.

603photog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Man, I love modern electronics and the convenience they offer, but sometimes I miss the simplicity of older vehicles.

Many years ago, I drove a 1987 Porsche 924S (not exactly a status symbol, trust me). These cars still had actual cigarette lighters in them right smack in the center of the dash under the radio. One day, on a whim, I installed a simple plunger switch at the bottom of the lighter receptacle and wired it into the ignition circuit. I then deactivated the starter circuit from the ignition switch on the steering column.

Nobody could ever figure out how to start that car but me. All you had to do was turn the key to "ON" and press the cigarette lighter in until the car started and then release. :happy107:

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Man, I love modern electronics and the convenience they offer, but sometimes I miss the simplicity of older vehicles.

Many years ago, I drove a 1987 Porsche 924S (not exactly a status symbol, trust me). These cars still had actual cigarette lighters in them right smack in the center of the dash under the radio. One day, on a whim, I installed a simple plunger switch at the bottom of the lighter receptacle and wired it into the ignition circuit. I then deactivated the starter circuit from the ignition switch on the steering column.

Nobody could ever figure out how to start that car but me. All you had to do was turn the key to "ON" and press the cigarette lighter in until the car started and then release. :happy107:

That sounds pretty cool, I like it

Exhausted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've always thought the button could be added
If you hold the normal fob close and use your finger to turn the ignition it starts with out the key in the ignition. So instead of using your finger you would just push a button.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

I did the same thing with my 2002 Nissan Xterra. Except I added a hidden toggle switch to complete the circuit just in case someone broke in and tried to steal it. I would've liked to have a series of switches in a row that had to be in a certain order to complete the circuit, but that was a lot of work!!