Quad cab big enough?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have a 14' Express QC with the mid-length bed. I like the truck a real lot, and just bought it in November of 2016. I have a son that will be 2 in November, and current state law states his carseat MUST be rear facing. Its abit tough in the QC, and he pretty much HAS to be in the middle to fit.

My father has a CC, and the car seat fits great near the door. Understanding in August I can switch the seat to foward facing, Does anyone else have kids this young in a QC?

The issue is, I want to do all this fun work to my truck, but I see no reason to do anything crazy if I'm just going to NEED a CC later on (as soon as I can afford to trade the truck in, As I'm way upside down right now).

Well lets here it.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't have kids but probably will eventually. Considering I fit in the back fine without my knees touching at 6'1, I'd imagine it would be fine. CC would be nicer for that I'm sure, but I'm not going to trade trucks if I have kids I'll make it work. They aren't going to die, I'm still alive after riding in the front of an 82 ram reg cab as a child.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When i bought my '13 back in 13 i debated between a cc a qc and a tahoe. At that time i had one kid in a forward facing seat and two more on the way. I went with the CC for the sole purpose of the space. Im 6'2" (34" inseam) have my forward seat behind me with my seat all the way back and have plenty of space in the rear. I couldnt do it with a qc and glad i never did.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It's when they get older, are facing forward and start to get crowded back there is why I think a CC would be a better choice.

Also, it cuts down on them kicking you through the back of the seat. :D

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can speak from personal experience, they won't fit very well if not in the middle seat. I have 3 little ones , though one is now in a booster..........long story short, when my CC was getting repainted I got a loaner on Ram's dime and it was a quadcab. I drove it around for a few days before taking it back for a minivan! I'm only 5' 9" and I couldn't get the seat back far enough without crushing my poor kids legs or me eating the steering wheel. Honestly, I didn't feel safe as my knees were bunched up and felt restricted in my movement. The position in the middle was liveable but man, the difference in usable real world room between a quadcab and crewcab is huge.

As a note, have had my 3 kids in a crewcab since the day the twins came home............rear facing Chico keyfit, rear facing full convertable car seat then swapped to forward facing and now the oldest in a booster. I've had 3 kiddo seats in the back for 5 years now..........

Last edited:
OP
OP
mpicc84

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well this is all making me lean towards getting a CC as soon as I can.

I could not purchase a Crew when I bought my Quad, as it was the only thing available in my area for weeks, and Its the best I could afford at the time. I suppose I may have to look into a crew cab in a few years.

Then again, I may be making enough money then to order a new 2500 megacab like I REALLY want... haha

Dbush36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I switched to the crew cab . Too crowded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think you're seeing a trend here...

After owning quad, and then riding in my fathers ram crew, and even getting stuck with an f150 crew as a rental... i can't see myself EVER owning a quad again. Maybe as a younger single guy with no kids, and that $1,500 jump to a crew was a difference maker... But the crew is seriously like having a full size suv...compared to stuffing yourself into the back of a jeep liberty

SuthrnRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Glad I don't have any kids at the moment, cause I sure love the look of the quad cab better! I have gotten loaner crew cabs and they are nice, especially if you ride people in the back a lot, I rarely have anyone riding in the back, always have my toolbox and boat stuff back there so I guess if I had the crew cab there would be even more junk I could stuff in there lol.

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think everyone with kids or planning for kids has this dilemma. I don't have any, but I will one day and I debated for a long time back when I bought my truck August 2016 whether to go crew or quad. I ended up with a quad and for me it is great, but I have heard from others that the rear-facing car seats are a pain. Once the baby can go forward facing it seems to be fine though. Guess it depends how long you want to deal with it.

It seems weird to me that the car seats would be such an issue though. I am 6'4'' and my buddies who are all over 6'0'' can ride in the back and even behind my normal driving position just fine. It isn't spacious for them, but also not uncomfortable. Ultimately just myself, or me and my wife are the only ones in my truck about 80% of the time so that pushed me to get the quad and save some money. When I have kids down the road I will re-evaluate and may trade up for a crew if necessary. I wouldn't blame you one bit if you made the switch.

Trykonkid11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the QC. Had to trade it in for the CC. NJ law stated the same for me with a weight requirement. When as you found out I'm guessing the rear facing seat hits the back of the seat. When you move the front seat up , you passengers knees will hit the dash. Unless they are short of course. I currently have a 6,4 and 2 year old. I have no issues. When they were in the bucket seat it was a nightmare, being that the handle for the seat had to be folded down. That pushed me up against the steering wheel. The middle seat in the rear isn't made for a car seat because the seats base hangs over. It has to have full contact.
The reason why I know this is because I had my seats inspected by the NJ Troopers who are certified installers.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 2014 QC Sport and then traded it in for a 2016 CC Rebel. My wife and I are both short so it was never a problem for our two little twins to fit in the QC. If the Rebel was available as a QC, then I would had bought it. BUT, I must say, the CC is really nice and I'm glad I have it now.

Luau_Pig

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had my youngest daughter rear facing in the middle and my oldest in a booster behind me in my 2001 with suicide doors, without issue. Traded it in for a 2015 Quad Cab and there is more than enough room now that the youngest is in a booster and the oldest out of the booster. Just depends on the situation I guess.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
...compared to stuffing yourself into the back of a jeep liberty

I agree 1000% about the Jeep Liberty. My two kids are grown and the wife didn't need or want a large SUV so we got her a Liberty. She likes it, but I can tell you the back seat is meant for midgets.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 14 quad and then the baby came along short story short I had to upgrade and buy myself 15 crew. Huge difference.
So to answer your question I would just skip on mods and just save up or wait for you to get the crew cab.

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never considered a quad cab when I bought because of the small back seat having children. I also like how far the back doors open. It makes loading and uploading the kids easier.

Last edited:

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
love my quad cab no kids like the longer box without the longer wheel base turns sharper etc.im 6ft 1 and I have had 3 adults in the back middle seat sucks though either than that everything is good.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Put the seat on the passenger side with the passenger seat all the way forward. It's only for a few months. As the kiddo gets bigger you'll want a CC.

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
if you have kids crew for sure.if you want to talk about room the 09-14 f150 crews have room for large adults.we had three people in back of my dads and two of us were over 6" 250 and had plenty of room.of course its not a ram though and i get 5mpg better with my hemi compared to his ecoboost.and i meant 6' ft not inches lol.