Question RE: Bed Lights connection to Cargo lamp button

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sierra Havok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone have any details regarding the Mopar Bed Light Kit which connects to the cargo lamp button in the cab (Lower Light Group)?

I've seen the Mopar Kit, but it doesn't elaborate on how it is connected other than it operates both the cargo light an bed lights when installed. Any tech savvy folks have the link to installing non-Mopar Bed lights in this fashion? It seems simple enough. Thanks.

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
I hooked up my aux backup lights from JJ to my cargo light button. It would not stay on very long before cutting off. The truck must read the voltage (even though they were LEDs-low draw) as a short and disables the power to that circuit. So I installed a relay that is fed off of that wire and fed the power to the lights from the plug at the bumper (battery hot). Let me go see what the wire color is.

Edit: the wire I used is a white wire with a tan stripe on it. Just power a relay off of that wire and feed the main power for the bed lights off of the battery wire on the plug in your bumper. Good luck.

Last edited:

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thinking of doing this as well.

Omicron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hooked up my aux backup lights from JJ to my cargo light button. It would not stay on very long before cutting off. The truck must read the voltage (even though they were LEDs-low draw) as a short and disables the power to that circuit. So I installed a relay that is fed off of that wire and fed the power to the lights from the plug at the bumper (battery hot). Let me go see what the wire color is.

Edit: the wire I used is a white wire with a tan stripe on it. Just power a relay off of that wire and feed the main power for the bed lights off of the battery wire on the plug in your bumper. Good luck.

What relay please, and where do you get it? Thanks...

OP
OP
S

Sierra Havok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The wires from the LED assembly run to the back of the bed (cab side). It appears you run the wires through the back bed wall and under the cab through the drivers side. At which the wires will need to be connected to either A) another switch or B) to the Cargo lamp. So when the lamp button is pushed both the cargo light and bed lights will illuminate. The problem is, I can find any instructions on how the assembly connects to the existing cargo lamp button. I have read that the 2012s do recognize a change in the load and will cut off the fuse for any assembly that's modified. Hence I was thinking of using a extendible circuit with a 10 amp fuse. Would really rather connect to an existing switch since my Bighorn doesn't have a location to add one close to the drivers side. Plus I really dont see the need to get the Center Bracket Assembly with 4 Aux selectors, since I only need one.

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
Just go to Radio Shack and get a standard relay and hook the wire to feed it up from the white and tan striped wire to it. Then run the power off of the battery pin in your trailer hookup in your bumper. Tap into the plug from the back side. This way the truck doesn't shut off that circuit from too much draw. Google "how to hook up a relay" and you will see tons of images on which wires go where. The one I got has just four prongs on it, two for the power source and two for the feed from the cargo light wire. Pretty easy hookup. Tomorrow I can get a pic for you. Let me know.

Danimal77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Please post some pics....I'm very interested in adding some bed lights also. Thx!

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just to throw an alternative out there. Originally, I was going to tie a bed light to the cargo lamp, but I changed my mind. Instead, I hooked it up to the 12v constant from the trailer wiring and the light has a switch..

This is why, I didn't want to have to open the truck door and turn on the cargo light in order to see in the bed. I know you can just hit the unlock button on the key fob, but I wanted to be able to use the bed light without even having my keys on me.

By installing a light with a switch, I can light up the bed whether I have my keys or not. We do a lot of camping at campgrounds and I'm always getting stuff out or putting stuff in the bed under the tonneau cover and I usually just leave the keys hanging in the camper.

It's nice just walking up to the bed and hitting the light switch keys or no keys.

Ray

Last edited:

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That's not a bad idea. Not bad at all actually.

MACH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just to throw an alternative out there. Originally, I was going to tie a bed light to the cargo lamp, but I changed my mind. Instead, I hooked it up to the 12v constant from the trailer wiring and the light has a switch..

This is why, I didn't want to have to open the truck door and turn on the cargo light in order to see in the bed. I know you can just hit the unlock button on the key fob, but I wanted to be able to use the bed light without even having my keys on me.

By installing a light with a switch, I can light up the bed whether I have my keys or not. We do a lot of camping at campgrounds and I'm always getting stuff out or putting stuff in the bed under the tonneau cover and I usually just leave the keys hanging in the camper.

It's nice just walking up to the bed and hitting the light switch keys or no keys.

Ray

This is exactly what I am doing. The other week when it was warm I thought it all out and noted which wires to tap. I just need for it to get warm out so I can do it.

You have to use the 7 pin trailer plug if you do this. The 4 prong doesn't have a 12V Constant. I have a section of smaller gauge extension cord I am using. This way it is rubber sealed already so I don't have to run any wire loom.

I will solder and shrink wrap my LED bed lights to the coard, and then I am going to take apart the 7 ping plug and see if I can solder or screw the other end into the plug so I don't have to cut my factory wires. BTW if anyone is interested here is a good link on which wires to use:

Trailer Light Plug wireing diagram 4/6/7 pin types.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just stripped off 1/4" of insulation from the 12v constant lead that goes into the back of the 7 pin trailer plug.

I stripped the 1/4" without cutting the wire, separated the strands, inserted my bed light hot lead, and soldered it. After that, I coated the solder joint with liquid electric tape and then taped over that. It should stay dry and corrosion free.

Ray

hemishark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What kind of lights are you all using? pics?

dreaves1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
How are you mounting the lights? I have some to mount under the bed rails but I am afraid that the heat (I live in the south) will cause tape adhesive to let go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3M tape should be fine. That's what all the badges are mounted with and they stay on in the sun.

Ray