RA1 to RA2 swap...difficulty? Parts needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've been seeing a lot lately on people going from the RA1 or RA2 up to the RA3/RA4 8.4 radios.

My truck's a lease, but I"m starting to weigh out the options of keeping it afterward and upgrading it to my liking, or turning it in and getting a higher trim.

One of those things would be upgrading from the 3.0 to the 5.0, since it looks like going from 3.0 --> 8.4 is much more involved than I'd like to take on.

So has anyone gone RA1 to RA2, preferably in a '14+

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
All the radios are plug and play, but certain add-ons are required with all of them to get all the features to work.

Ra2 needs the rear view mirror w/microphone to get the hands-free calling to fully work.

RA3/4 will require more parts and effort.

Now even with a lease you still can add a aftermarket radio. In my opinion, if trying to upgrade, going aftermarket is easier and you get what you want. Unless you're stuck with factory like the trucks that came with the 8.4.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks, I hadn't really been considering aftermarket but good mid-high end double dins seem to have come down pretty significantly in price. Metra has a dash kit and there are OE integration harnesses that allow use of the factory satellite tuner so maybe that is the way to go after all. I was planning to upgrade door speakers anyway so a head unit with a bit more juice than factory only makes sense to make it sound better.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45