Ram sport cup holder removal help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am installing my vantrue x2 dash cam tomorrow. I don't want any of the wire showing.

My idea was splicing in a separate auxiliary port (autozone special) INSIDE the center console to the already existing port that comes out of my center console space attached to the cup holders. that way you'll never see any wire and the dash cam will be plugged into that spliced in port.

But how do you remove those cup holders? Do I just remove the chrome trim piece and expose a few screws or what? It's a brand new truck so I don't want to break anything or screw anything up.

ALSO how do you remove the plastic A pillar

I also had a plan B. Also using a store bought separate auxiliary port (autozone special) tucking it under my dash board plugging in the camera then running the power for the aux port through my firewall into a fuse.

Which option is better? And how do you remove the center console cup holders and plastic A pillar?

Thanks for the help. 7a3c0c43ef37b0370395a78cde81de76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have an X2 also. My plan is to gut one of those USB port chargers that plugs into the lighter socket. I'm then going to connect it to the switched power wire for the mirror and then I'll just run a short USB cable over to the camera.

Samsam315

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Check the ramforums for a write up on this but a lot of us with the overhead console just tapped into those wires for our dash cams vs routing wires down the A-pillar and pulling apart the center
Console. Another option can also be your mirror if you have the powered option.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should be able to find switched power in the connector of your auto dim mirror.

See this thread for reference.

Last edited:

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Mpress2570, to remove the cup holders, you will need to pull off the top of the console. First remove the mats. One hex head screw in the main larger compartment. 8mm I think. Next, right under the das bezel area, there are 2, I believe Phillips head screws. If you have a rolling door, close it most of the way. After removing those 3 fasteners, pull up and release it from some friction clips.
Turn the top over and you see that there are four screws holding the cup holder in place.
First time I messed with mine, I was trying to remove the cup holders and was not able to pry them out. Luckily I didn't get too rammy, and I eventually removed the top of the console and saw that they are screwed in. Kinda dumb, as if you spill something, you can't just pull them out easily.

OP
OP
mpress2570

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check the ramforums for a write up on this but a lot of us with the overhead console just tapped into those wires for our dash cams vs routing wires down the A-pillar and pulling apart the center
Console. Another option can also be your mirror if you have the powered option.

I'm just unsure if the vantrue power cable is just simply power and ground or if it's all tiny wires in there

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm just unsure if the vantrue power cable is just simply power and ground or if it's all tiny wires in there

It's powered through the USB connector so you need 5V. That's why I'm going to use one of these and strip it down.

6d8ed45f9bfe2c0edef0d11bbe1c9891.jpg

Ramguytexas87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ignition Orange Sport
Engine
5.7L
32046683444_753b1b0f0d_b.jpgInfo by Josh Clark, on Flickr

As the other user said, there is 1 bolt in the center under the mat. Remove that, pull up on the console to remove it, unhook the 1 cable to the power outlet. Turn the console over and all that holds the cup holders in are 4 little screws, take those out and it pulls off simple as that. I ended up taking all of my radio bezel and console apart for fun lol.

OP
OP
mpress2570

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As the other user said said:
I just ended up going to the trailer brake wiring that is under the dash. I don't have a trailer brake and won't ever need one and I found out that the wiring was still there wrapped in foam under the dash. I have it all hooked up now. And vantrue has a 12v to 5v adapter. 5d1c68877762a46e8af2741e5555b8e2.jpgb87602ee596d904ca9a4b64e8deccb55.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45