Rattle in door caused by door speaker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beavermosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram Big Horn 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L 390HP
Hi all,

My 2013 Big Horn has rattling doors with certain frequencies of tunes, generally mid range bass. The problem is coming from the metal clips that hold the window/lock control cluster in the door (see picture). Removing the cluster will fix the issue. The rattle is more noticeable on the passenger's side than the driver's side; but nonetheless still noticeable.

The cluster is FAR too easy to remove; the wire harness holds it in better than the clips. It just pops right out. I can see in about 10-15 year this being a serious issue.

Has anyone else had this problem?

photo.jpg

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Can't say I have. I don't have any aftermarket speakers or anything. I did just install some 13 door panels into my Ram and the switches were in there pretty good. Maybe try pulling the tab out a bit to make it harder to pull out?

I guess take it to the dealer if nothing else. This would be one of those easy warranty things.

MrHarleyGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same rattle on my 13'. I have not had time to pinpoint the rattle, but its more prevalent on my drivers side rear panel. Nothing up front though... I did reach back and push on the door panel and it seemed to stop it. I will take a look this week on the switch housing.

OP
OP
B

beavermosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L 390HP
Can't say I have. I don't have any aftermarket speakers or anything. I did just install some 13 door panels into my Ram and the switches were in there pretty good. Maybe try pulling the tab out a bit to make it harder to pull out?

I guess take it to the dealer if nothing else. This would be one of those easy warranty things.

I tried pulling the tabs out but it really made no difference. I have to the the EBS recall fixed anyway so I might as well mention this as well.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it the metal tabs themselves, or are they rattling in the door panel?
Only fix I can think of is to epoxy something to the opening they clip into to make them fit tighter. Nothing like engineering a truck for the manufacture eh?

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you haven't replaced the speakers, have the dealer fix it. Rattles can typically be fixed with CF, but that my be tough in this case. Are the clips loose -- and rattling themselves, or rattling against something?

OP
OP
B

beavermosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L 390HP
Is it the metal tabs themselves, or are they rattling in the door panel?
Only fix I can think of is to epoxy something to the opening they clip into to make them fit tighter. Nothing like engineering a truck for the manufacture eh?

If you haven't replaced the speakers, have the dealer fix it. Rattles can typically be fixed with CF, but that my be tough in this case. Are the clips loose -- and rattling themselves, or rattling against something?

They don't rattle when the cluster is outside the door like in the picture. So it must be rattling against the door panel somewhere.

lizardking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 6.7 "The real deal"
I've always used foam deadner on the panel itself. It will absorb any sound waves that cause rattles. You can pick it up at Lowes and Home Depot and cut to shape. You can use heavy duty spray adhesive to tack it down.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Use Closed Cell Foam for rattles. Or, if you deaden the doors and door panel, it will rid of vibrations -- which are causing the rattle. Have you pulled the whole door panel? It would give you a better picture of what it's rattling against. It comes off in 1 min.

If you still have the stock speakers, make the dealer fix it the next time you go in.

OP
OP
B

beavermosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L 390HP
I took it to the dealer today and the "fixed" it by bending out the metal tabs you see in the picture. Hoped in the truck and listened to a few tunes and could still hear the rattling. Then I got smart and downloaded an iPhone app that plays basically any tone (called Tone Generator). Turns out it is 72.5 Hz where the problem is; showed the dealer and they said come back in a week. So I am taking it back next week.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
...showed the dealer and they said come back in a week.

That sounds like a Friday attitude, not a Thursday, lol. Best of luck. I would think about a sound deadener as mentioned above. Aftermarket speakers are known for finding rattles.

d_coyne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I know this is an old thread, but did anyone ever find a fix for this? I have the same issue on my '17 and the last time I went to the dealer for a rattle in my Jeep they gave me the same annoyed, eye-rolled response everyone else has been getting.

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put silicone RTV in a couple spots around the switches in all 4 doors on my truck and then added 8 sheets of Ballistic Sound Deadener to all of the panels. It made a huge difference in the truck. I also found what I think is source of a significant amount of the rattles the Express door panels have and that's the pockets and how they secure to the door panel on the inside of the panel. I can send you a couple photos if you need but putting strip of Ballistic at contact points around those pockets pretty much eleiminated all of the rattles in my doors. FYI, I have upgraded sound system with 400 watts going to the door speakers and virtually no rattles now.

Rwgarrison23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put silicone RTV in a couple spots around the switches in all 4 doors on my truck and then added 8 sheets of Ballistic Sound Deadener to all of the panels. It made a huge difference in the truck. I also found what I think is source of a significant amount of the rattles the Express door panels have and that's the pockets and how they secure to the door panel on the inside of the panel. I can send you a couple photos if you need but putting strip of Ballistic at contact points around those pockets pretty much eleiminated all of the rattles in my doors. FYI, I have upgraded sound system with 400 watts going to the door speakers and virtually no rattles now.

Sorry to retive old thread but my 2500 started to have this issue. Any picture of said method you used to fix?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My door panels all rattled huge from day 1. Foam tape around the door perimeter and replaced the plastic with butyl sound deadener. As far as the switches go a little deadener on the tab will stop rattles where it clips in. My truck is pretty quiet now, but still a couple switches that rattle occasionally internally so there really is no fix for those.

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry to retive old thread but my 2500 started to have this issue. Any picture of said method you used to fix?

Wouldn’t you know I was going thru old photos on my phone after selling my boat and I deleted those, I’ll see if I can pull them back but basically I put Ballistic Mat at all of the plastic welds for the door pockets on all 4 doors. It eliminated most of the rattles at higher volume but I still have the drivers door switch rattle.