Rear Cup Holder Filler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A few topics about dogs reminded me of an issue I have. When the floor is folded out for my dog, the cup holders are still exposed, and naturally he can't help but to step in it.

Do they make a filler or something to drop in to make the floor level? I know I could make one easily, but I'd rather buy one for $20 or so.

tsc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not the best solution.

But what about the round ashtrays that sits in cup holders?

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea, I hate this too. Our dogs are always having a rough time (pun intended) of stepping in the cup holders. It's hard on our oldest dog since he has bad back legs and arthritis. At one point I shoved a rolled up newspaper in there just to even it out a bit, but I'm not sure if it really made a difference.

I wish they would've made the fold flat floor solid across that point. Seems kind of dumb to leave it open with the floor open. I understand having to access the cup holders while it's folded away, but come on design guys, you can do better than that!

OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I am just going to get out the router and build something. There seems to be nothing out there.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think I am just going to get out the router and build something. There seems to be nothing out there.

Let me know what you come up with, and post some pictures. I may need one too.

OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Let me know what you come up with, and post some pictures. I may need one too.

I am thinking, pop the cup holder out, strap it to a piece of wood and use a router to trace it. Then mount 4 wooden dowels on the bottom of it, then toss some carpet on it. When I get to it, I will post pictures up.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Put a cup a plastic chip in there upside down and cut it so it's at the right height. I have a sheet laid down in mine for the lab. I forget about the cup holders, but I'm sure he has stepped in it.

posttal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 and 2013 Laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had the wife make 2 little sand/bean bags...they look like the bean bags used for playing corn hole .. or for you shooters like a sand bag for your riffle... but she made them with a black fabric to match the cup holder . I just put one in each side and being filled with sand they conform to the cup holder opening perfect and give the dog a firm surface....if I need the holder I take them out...she also made one I keep here on the desk by the keyboard...it helps with typing and prevents carpel tunnel.

Attachments

• IMG_20150922_092556_791.jpg
    IMG_20150922_092556_791.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20150922_092543_922.jpg
    IMG_20150922_092543_922.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 118

Omicron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any updates on this? Wondering if anyone has come up with something other than sand bags.

15BLACKRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
wouldn't you be able to just line the holder with tinfoil or something and then just fill it with resin or something that hardens? Then you should still be able to pull it out when not needed.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Put an empty can in it upside down.
Jay

Omicron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
wouldn't you be able to just line the holder with tinfoil or something and then just fill it with resin or something that hardens? Then you should still be able to pull it out when not needed.
That's an interesting idea. I'll look into it, thanks!

Omicron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Put an empty can in it upside down.
Jay
Nice idea Jay, but needs to be more solid than that. Large dog paws would fit around the cans and just push them out.

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I had an idea. Put a layer of Saran Wrap in the cup holder and shoot some Dow Great Stuff in it. The Great stuff will expand and conform to the cup holder. Then you can trim the top off level with a knife. You should be able to pull the Saran Wrap off afterward and then you can take it in and out when needed. You can get it a Lowes or Home Depot. It's similar to the material used to pack boxes with fragile items.

Last edited:

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Love this thread! My dog tripped in it too, so that was one of my first projects when I got the truck two years ago.

I cut some foam to fit in the cupholder, cut a piece of wood to smooth over the top, and wrapped the two pieces in a piece of vinyl to match the interior. Hasn't come out since, don't think those cupholders have ever been used for drinks.

Wish I had a picture.

Omicron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had an idea. Put a layer of Saran Wrap in the cup holder and shoot some Dow Great Stuff in it. The Great stuff will expand and conform to the cup holder. Then you can trim the top off level with a knife. You should be able to pull the Saran Wrap off afterward and then you can take it in and out when needed. You can get it a Lowes or Home Depot. It's similar to the material used to pack boxes with fragile items.
Great idea!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What I did was a little different. I bought a 3" thick piece of foam, the length of the seat and put it on the floor and covered it with a huge beach towel. The foam "pad" covers the drink holder and goes from door to door. Gives the dog a little softer place to lay down while traveling.
Jay

Flatbed Fred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
You could line it with wax paper and then fill it up with that flex seal. Let dry and remove the wax paper. That might work.