Rear seat change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cptblood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello new to the forum

Im out in NM the ABQ area

Has anyone changed out their rear seat of the truck?

I have a bench seat but really wanting a 60/40.

Talked to the parts guy at the local dealership and he told me that it would be a pain in the butt
Have to change out seat belts and the computer would not recognize the new changes.

Sounded wierd i put in a new 60/40 on my 03 with no problems.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My first thought would be, "yea, it's doable". But, I'm not really sure. I wonder if you could find someone that has a 60/40 seat that you know to get some measurements. Or, see if you can find one at a salvage and check it out. Even if the computer didn't recognize it once installed, I'd think you could get the dealership to flash the computer for it.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I disagree... (I think). The seat belt anchor points should be exactly the same for both seats. The center shoulder belt might be different with its interface with the seat back, but the anchor points should all be the same. As far as the computer is concerned, I'm not sure the computer tracks either seat belt closure or seat occupancy (for air bag deployment) in the rear. I'm always having to make sure the kids are buckled in, there's no tattletale like there is in the front.

Front seats would be completely different. Are you sure the parts guy understood you were talking about changing the rear seat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It is doable (IMHO) if you're willing to drill a few holes. I changed out my '04's beach rear seat with a 60/40 and load floor I got off eBay. In the '04 all the holes were there and I just had to buy a couple bolts. I just put a load floor in my new '16 but the holes aren't there, at least in my Tradesman. I didn't want to drill so I put in the load floor like this...

http://www.ramforum.com/f42/2016_tr...stall_without_drilling_any_holes_truck-89688/

...however I wouldn't trust that setup to hold seats that you're trusting to transport people. Only option is drilling the holes and getting proper sized bolts and such.

wangatang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Rear seat is easy, did it a couple months ago. the holes for the center supports are in the body, covered by tape. the carpet has cut outs where the holes would be - lift it up there and you'll see the tape. Take the bolts out of the existing seat to the nearest hardware store and find a matching one to hold down the centers, or buy em for a few bucks each at the dealer.

I had the bench seat and added the folding flat floor, which is an option on the 60/40 seat equipped trucks only. I used the trick above to find the holes for the brackets in the split, and got bolts to thread in just fine. When I did the seat swap, they new seats just bolted right in. The bench seat already has a center seat belt; you just unbolt it from the floor and bolt the new one in.

The trucks are very modular for what i'm sure are cost savings. No need to spec tons of different bodies for various options, just change the parts that are bolting in.

wangatang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
It is doable (IMHO) if you're willing to drill a few holes. I changed out my '04's beach rear seat with a 60/40 and load floor I got off eBay. In the '04 all the holes were there and I just had to buy a couple bolts. I just put a load floor in my new '16 but the holes aren't there, at least in my Tradesman. I didn't want to drill so I put in the load floor like this...

http://www.ramforum.com/f42/2016_tr...stall_without_drilling_any_holes_truck-89688/

...however I wouldn't trust that setup to hold seats that you're trusting to transport people. Only option is drilling the holes and getting proper sized bolts and such.

no drilling necessary on my '14. I suspect there's none needed at all on any of the crew/quad trucks. The holes are just covered by tape.

edit: just read your post and saw you didn't have the holes. the tape pieces were farily large, maybe 2-3" square. My '14 is a tradesman, so if anything it'd be the one I'd expect to have no holes, but there they were :)

OP
OP
C

Cptblood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah when i did the 03 i had to add some brackets on the rear wall under that i pulled the junkyard with the seats.

I did see the carpet cutouts . So everything should be there. I just think the kid at the counter did not want to deal with it.

I just need to find out what years and models. My 03 60/40 came out of a 1500

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye