Rear Wall Vent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all!
Last night I was driving and I forgot to put the backrest of the back seat back up before leaving (rear seat fold-down mod). Anyway, it was a lot louder than normal in the cab (installed carven competitor a few weeks ago) There are two square vents on the rear wall that have flaps that lead to outside between the bed and the cab. Does anyone know what the intention is for these? I am thinking about either putting foam in them or just putting sound deadening butyl mat over them but I want to make sure that they don't serve an exact purpose or a purpose I can live without.

Here is a picture of one of the squares I am referring to:
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/6743/VVUlJe.jpg

Let me know if the link does not work please.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I can assure you that you don't want to cover those up or block them in any way.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
It equalizes the cabin pressure when you shut your doors and helps circulate air in the cab and prevent windows from fogging up. Most all vehicles have them somewhere. They aren't just a random opening they decided to throw in for chits and giggles.

If you decide to cover them, just do some research on it for any negative effects first.

OP
OP
NOcasio7

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It equalizes the cabin pressure when you shut your doors and helps circulate air in the cab and prevent windows from fogging up. Most all vehicles have them somewhere. They aren't just a random opening they decided to throw in for chits and giggles.

If you decide to cover them, just do some research on it for any negative effects first.

I had a feeling about the pressure from closing the doors, Ill just mat around them and put the padding back in after.
Thank you!

Rwood93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's 100% for pressure do not block those off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you close the doors prepare for your ears to pop, as well A/C using outside air will almost seem to slow way down as it cant overcome the pressure in the cab. There are quite a few reasons not to.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I used dyna mat all over the back wall...every inch....next I ordered dyna liner 1/2" thick....it's self adhesive and easily trimible with scissors...I covered entire back with....I left the vents exposed but put a breathable layer over themso air will still enter and escape..I treated the entire interior and door panels as well as headliner...the dyna liner is the best... I ordered in 1/8", 1/4", and 1/2" thickness. Place over the dyna mat...I also treated the entire floor in dynamat and then placed dyna pad over it and then reinstalled carpeting.....truck is tight like recording studio...lol

Here is some pics

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

joneseysr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
cover those vents and tell me how long it takes for your rear window to blow out from closing any one of the doors on your truck.....

OP
OP
NOcasio7

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So as suggested, I did NOT cover the vents but I did put matting around the vent. I must have messed something up or left an opening bc last night I had a pool of water on my passenger side under seat storage. I plan on TRYING to remove the matting and redoing it. The dirver side vent didnt seem to have leaked.

OutLore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So as suggested, I did NOT cover the vents but I did put matting around the vent. I must have messed something up or left an opening bc last night I had a pool of water on my passenger side under seat storage. I plan on TRYING to remove the matting and redoing it. The dirver side vent didnt seem to have leaked.

That's more likely to be your 3rd brake light at the top of the cab if you haven't sealed it up, they are very prone to leaking.

OP
OP
NOcasio7

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's more likely to be your 3rd brake light at the top of the cab if you haven't sealed it up, they are very prone to leaking.

That is what I was afraid of to be honest. This morning before work I went and got more weatherstripping at Lowes to redo what I already had done to reseal the third brake light. During my lunch break I went out with a full bottle of water and poured it on the rear glass and sure enough I found the leak coming from the passenger side rear wall vent, Took it out through the cab, inspected, and tested for leaks again. I must have nudged it when I was back there because it didnt leak after I put it back in. I will be keeping an eye on it.

Rugby Bear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pen star 6 cylinder
After choking on a cloud of dust, I pulled the rear seat out and discovered that half the flaps are missing! Any suggestions?20190512_120603.jpg

20190512_120634.jpg

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did that in another vehicle, with no ill effect. I just used the run of the mill upholstery batting, and that seemed to help a bit with noise but was still breathable.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963