Rear window defroster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I wonder if they wired defroster hook ups. If i can order the glass with defrosters i may just have to submit an insurance claim to get this mod done :)

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I don't have the rear defrost but the heated mirrors. Still have to use the defrost button for the mirrors.

jojo2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
yeah, same here. Rear defrost button for mirrors only

xXAvroArrowXx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder if they wired defroster hook ups. If i can order the glass with defrosters i may just have to submit an insurance claim to get this mod done :)

Eh, what? I don't get it....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Airborne63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Our new 2014 Laramie has both rear defroster and power sliding rear window.

I highly doubt that it has both. I have the same truck and the "defroster" button only turns on the heat to the mirrors. Take a close look at the back window and you will not see any heating elements. If you do please post a picture of the sliding window with heatng elements.

Edit: you can have both now.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I highly doubt that it has both. I have the same truck and the "defroster" button only turns on the heat to the mirrors. Take a close look at the back window and you will not see any heating elements. If you do please post a picture of the sliding window with heatng elements.

I have a 2014 Sport and it has both, the sliding rear window and the rear defroster. Just like in my 2013 F150, the heated mirrors and rear defroster work off from the same button on the dash.

If you want, I can put my eyeball right on the rear defroster heating elements to make sure they're there....nevermind, i know they're there.

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 14 express CC has the heated mirrors, rear defrost button but I can't see any way for it to actually defrost the rear window....shouldn't there be a grid? Or did they run air ducts back there?

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 14 express CC has the heated mirrors, rear defrost button but I can't see any way for it to actually defrost the rear window....shouldn't there be a grid? Or did they run air ducts back there?

If you don't see the grids, then you do not have the rear window defroster. It was a $150 option that's listed on my window sticker.

Otis14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also have the same question. My 2013 quad cab had the slider with defrost. After having that one wrecked, my best replacement 2014 has the slider with no heating elements. If the wiring is in place I would replace it with the proper glass. Any thoughts?
Can't understand why Dodge would ship to the northeast without a rear window defrost.

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The back of my '13 Sport has the wiring for a heating element based rear window defroster. My Ram has a sliding rear window with the vented rear window defroster.

That said, you can buy the glass and connect it to the wire, but the circuit is most likely disabled in the BCM. You would have to get Chrysler engineering to add that sales (GFA) code to your truck.

There doesn't appear to be a distinction in sales codes between the sliding window rear defroster and the heating element type rear defroster. This may mean that if you wish to switch from the ducted to the heating element style, it will work.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
aw what the hell. So if my back window were to break and I asked for one with an element in it it wouldn't be a plug and play deal Id have to go to the dealer and find some one to flash my truck? ugh...

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD

Here your picture from my 2014 RAM with both sliding rear window and heating grid in the window for the rear window defrost

Attachments

• IMG_0709.jpg
    IMG_0709.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 98

Airborne63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here your picture from my 2014 RAM with both sliding rear window and heating grid in the window for the rear window defrost

Now I'm pissed, my dealer said it was either or but you could not have both.

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
Now I'm pissed, my dealer said it was either or but you could not have both.

I wouldn't get too bent over it. I'm a 10 hour drive north of The Montana/ Canadian border.

I know what winter and cold is better than most... and I don't have it, or need it. Your not missing too much. It might just be a Laramie thing like the back up camera and heated/ cooled seats.

fondupot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems like it would be stupid NOT to have the rear window defroster in northern climates. GM and Ford Trucks both have it standard even with rear sliders.

Batram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have the rear slider with defrost as well in my '13 Sport.

fondupot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my dad just picked up a 2014 Laramie last night and this truck does not have the heating elements for the rear window defrost. I couldn't find any wiring or anything either, but I honestly didn't look too hard. It does have the button on the center stack, which I assume is for the heated mirrors. His truck also has the rear slider.

I poked around in the back of the cab, but I couldnt see any vents or anything, so is there truly no way to defrost/defog the rear window? We live in Illinois, his truck will be parked in a heated garage most days, but still having the defrost/defog would be nice. Just seems a little odd that this is an option. It should be standard to have the heating elements in the rear window.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the rear slider with defrost as well in my '13 Sport.

I have it on my '14 Sport too. I also had it on my '13 F-150. I've used it a bunch of times. Though it's not necessary, it is definitely helpful....one of the things I looked for when I bought the Ram.

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my dad just picked up a 2014 Laramie last night and this truck does not have the heating elements for the rear window defrost. I couldn't find any wiring or anything either, but I honestly didn't look too hard. It does have the button on the center stack, which I assume is for the heated mirrors. His truck also has the rear slider.

I poked around in the back of the cab, but I couldnt see any vents or anything, so is there truly no way to defrost/defog the rear window? We live in Illinois, his truck will be parked in a heated garage most days, but still having the defrost/defog would be nice. Just seems a little odd that this is an option. It should be standard to have the heating elements in the rear window.
Defrost button is for the heated mirrors (you are correct). If you don't see the lines in your rear window, there is no defrost. I have not seen anyone swap the rear window out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam