Replacing steering column tonight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jacobsmudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 express 4x2 6at reg cab
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Any tips? It looks pretty straightforward... pull the wheel, disconnect the ujoint by the pedals, disconnect shift linkage, unbolt 4 bolts that hold the upper column, slide entire column out. Remove turn signal stalk and electronic goodies from old column, bolt to new column, slide new column in, ujoint, 4 bolts, wires/shiftlinkage, wheel, airbag, done?

It almost looks too easy. But Ive been working on german cars only for the last ~15yrs so maybe it is just this easy. I see no reason currently to remove the dash.

This is a 2014 1500 express reg cab 4x2 6at

Thanks!

OP
OP
J

jacobsmudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
No, definitely not. This truck has a colorful history!

Totaled, rolled over, repo'd... but I'm not complaining. Just needed a little love.

I'm having a hard time tracking down the torque for these 4 steering column bolts though.

Ramped

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have to pull the column trim, disconnect all the connectors as they are part of the dash harness. The wheel can stay on, but easier to take off in the truck. Make sure the column doesn't spin of you want to save the clock spring. It is really simple, no hidden stuff.

OP
OP
J

jacobsmudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah it was easy, most difficult part was rejoining the ujoint.

So, I broke the Brake Pedal Position Sensor when I was reinstalling the column because I was rushing (getting dark)... it has apparently completely disabled MDS and traction control.

WIN/WIN?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yeah it was easy, most difficult part was rejoining the ujoint.

So, I broke the Brake Pedal Position Sensor when I was reinstalling the column because I was rushing (getting dark)... it has apparently completely disabled MDS and traction control.

WIN/WIN?

i am not seeing a downside there. lol

Ramped

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the same thing. "Where did this spring come from?" Doh!

OP
OP
J

jacobsmudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just for the sake of closure. Anyone who comes across this thread via searching for "replacing steering column" -- i did have to drop the lower dash below the upper steering column. It was held in with 2 screws at the bottom then just snap clips.

Rejoining the ujoint in the truck before the firewall was fruitless. I removed the intermediate shaft by reaching around the driver front wheel and unbolting the 13mm bolt holding it in. It slid out easily. With the intermediate shaft out i rejoined the steering column via the ujoint with a 5lb deadblow hammer. It took some good wacks, there is no way this is possible in the truck.

Slid the intermediate shaft through the firewall and bolted the upper steering column to hold in place, then rejoined the intermediate shaft to the rack, it slid in easily. Watch the brake pedal position sensor like mentioned above, or it's an 18$ mistake and a dealership ordered part. :)

2014 1500 reg cab

audio ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Jacobmudder, was the old column a column shift? I am looking for the cable bracket that bolts to the column for the shift cable

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963