Rusty Seat Tracks & Under Dash Metal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ox1500Sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, my 2014 Ram has only 4300 miles on it. I was doing a little first-time interior cleaning, and I noticed that the seat tracks & the metal brackets & steering components under the dash were getting rusty. :wtf2:

Anyone else?

My other truck (an '06 F-250) doesn't have this issue at all.

Kaiserstatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '13 has the same problem at 35k miles. Never been wet inside and no reason that I know of why there should be rust in those areas. Of course mine is currently at the dealership getting a new bedside on driver side. Original was rusting through at the weld.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, my 2014 Ram has only 4300 miles on it. I was doing a little first-time interior cleaning, and I noticed that the seat tracks & the metal brackets & steering components under the dash were getting rusty. :wtf2:

Anyone else?

My other truck (an '06 F-250) doesn't have this issue at all.

yup..... 2015 sport. removed glove box to do the cabin filter mod.....found some silver colored metal brackets, all had little spots of surface rust on them.

what the **** is going on with these trucks?

JExpress14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm 90% sure that happens on any vehicle. I would assume it's from the metal getting cold etc then warming up and condensation forming. I wouldn't worry about it HAHAHA.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Most vehicles are like this. Your truck will have gone to the crusher for other things before untreated bare metal rust issues in unseen secluded areas becomes an issue.

Painting things that do not need painting for aesthetics that the end user does not see on a daily basis, adds up.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most cars and trucks are like this under the dash.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I totally disagree with that, this is the very first vehicle I have ever owned that has bare metal seat frames which came pre rusted from the factory. I know it would add up to paint these brackets, probably a couple hundred bucks at the most to paint all the brackets on the truck as they would be sprayed by machine or dipped. They could have used SS more expensive yes. They could have used galvanized sheet metal for less than the cost of painting. But instead Fiat there very best to skimp on every turn. Its not just the brackets either take off your A pillar covers or you tailgate access panel, look up into the fenders (where it really counts) and you will see a lot of bare primer. These areas were painted on my 2010 F150d and my 1989 K2500.

A lot of folks are having very early body rusting issues, just as the above poster. Freaking really!!! Hootbro is right though these trucks will fail mechanically (that is not a compliment to the drivetrain) before they totally rust away, but I paid for a new truck that is supposed to be properly protected and preserved and it is not. Not only are the surfaces of the truck improperly preserved, but the body design is such that in the fender wells, tail light recesses etc that they trap dirt and moisture which will greatly accelerate the rusting process.

I just checked my 2008 santa fe and my wifes 2014 santa fe guess what the seat brackets are painted.

OP
OP
O

Ox1500Sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '06 F-250 doesn't have this cosmetic issue at all ... just sayin.

I'm use to seeing some surface rusting like this ... but never to this extent & typically its under the dash & not on the seat tracks. I'll try to get some pics posted up.

They could've at-least sprayed a thin coating of a rust preventative or oil on these bare parts.

I'm in the South if that matters .. the truck was originally delivered to a dealer in Georgia.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It's bare metal. Any bare metal is susceptible to rust if it's not protected, doesn't matter if it comes into direct contact with water or not.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
It's bare metal. Any bare metal is susceptible to rust if it's not protected, doesn't matter if it comes into direct contact with water or not.

Rust is another name for iron oxide, which occurs when iron or an alloy that contains iron, like steel, is exposed to oxygen and moisture for a long period of time. Over time, the oxygen combines with the metal at an atomic level, forming a new compound called an oxide and weakening the bonds of the metal itself. Although some people refer to rust generally as "oxidation", that term is much more general; although rust forms when iron undergoes oxidation, not all oxidation forms rust. Only iron or alloys that contain iron can rust, but other metals can corrode in similar ways.

The main catalyst for the rusting process is water. Iron or steel structures might appear to be solid, but water molecules can penetrate the microscopic pits and cracks in any exposed metal. The hydrogen atoms present in water molecules can combine with other elements to form acids, which will eventually cause more metal to be exposed. If chloride ions are present, as is the case with saltwater, the corrosion is likely to occur more quickly. Meanwhile, the oxygen atoms combine with metallic atoms to form the destructive oxide compound. As the atoms combine, they weaken the metal, making the structure brittle and crumbly.

If the steel has a high content of impurities in the iron it will rust at a much faster rate. In other word Ram used cheap garbage metal here. As othes have stated at least they could have applied some sort of anti corrosion coating, a better grade of steel, a galvanization or painting.

Fiat trucks built cheap and guaranteed not to last. But from what I see on most forums lasting really is not so much of an issue as it seems most members keep their trucks for 3 to 5 years.

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Rust is another name for iron oxide, which occurs when iron or an alloy that contains iron, like steel, is exposed to oxygen and moisture for a long period of time. Over time, the oxygen combines with the metal at an atomic level, forming a new compound called an oxide and weakening the bonds of the metal itself. Although some people refer to rust generally as "oxidation", that term is much more general; although rust forms when iron undergoes oxidation, not all oxidation forms rust. Only iron or alloys that contain iron can rust, but other metals can corrode in similar ways.

The main catalyst for the rusting process is water. Iron or steel structures might appear to be solid, but water molecules can penetrate the microscopic pits and cracks in any exposed metal. The hydrogen atoms present in water molecules can combine with other elements to form acids, which will eventually cause more metal to be exposed. If chloride ions are present, as is the case with saltwater, the corrosion is likely to occur more quickly. Meanwhile, the oxygen atoms combine with metallic atoms to form the destructive oxide compound. As the atoms combine, they weaken the metal, making the structure brittle and crumbly.

Lol what was the point of that? My comment about water was directed to another comment talking about condensation.

Last edited:

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Lol what was the point of that? My comment about water was directed to another comment talking about condensation.

We've seen him before, he likes to prove to everyone (that doesn't care) how smart he is and complain about how ****** the truck he CHOSE to buy is.

The dash skeleton and seat brackets in my '99 were rusted for as long as I can remember, and that rust never progressed to anything that would remotely be of any concern. The '05 too. I havent stuck my head under the seat or behind the dash of my '14 yet.. because thats how concerned I would be that those pieces are rusted..

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
We've seen him before, he likes to prove to everyone (that doesn't care) how smart he is and complain about how ****** the truck he CHOSE to buy is.

The dash skeleton and seat brackets in my '99 were rusted for as long as I can remember, and that rust never progressed to anything that would remotely be of any concern. The '05 too. I havent stuck my head under the seat or behind the dash of my '14 yet.. because thats how concerned I would be that those pieces are rusted..

I know, I've seen his posts before. Was smart enough to copy and paste right from Wikipedia.

OP
OP
O

Ox1500Sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here are some pics of mine ... again, practically new truck ... 4300 miles. I've owned over 50 vehicles in my day and have never seen this in such a new vehicle.

Under Dash ....
DSCN3969.jpg

DSCN3970.jpg

Seat tracks under drivers seat ...
DSCN3971.jpg

madrussian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn, that's rough and doesn't look normal at all...

Are you getting condensation inside the truck or moisture? Are you in a humid environment?

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
There always will be people who will defend inferior quality because they are blinded by brand loyalty. Pretty pathetic but I am sure Fiat is forever grateful for people like that. Then there are those past life service writers like Myofive who think all customers are stupid and know nothing. That it is none of the customers business what they do in the shop to the customers vehicle. (these are his words not mine) He apparently has been reincarnated as a smart mouth clown. I do wonder one thing though, why did Fiat ****can him? Did he insult or damage the wrong customers truck, or was he just to incompetent even for Fiat's standards?

This thread was not started by me, the OP is pointing out a less than desirable aspect of his truck. By concurring with him and pointing out the inferior build quality of these trucks, this makes me a target? So why did you post in here? To attack me? This is not my thread nor yours! I suppose the pictures posted previously by a fellow member who is less than happy about the rust inside his brand new truck are the by product of yet another whining tin foil hat know it all?

Too bad Fiat still has clowns like Myofive working for them, well at least they got rid of him!!!

Last edited:

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
unacceptable imo...kinda how my driveshaft looked like ass from day 1!

madrussian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes that is terrible, but is actually quite normal for these trucks.

Normal? I don't know about you, but that wouldn't fly as normal to me.

My truck was 18 months old and didn't have any of that, and we get some crazy humidity as well and it never was parked indoors.

I don't buy thats normal, but I'm also not sure he'll have much luck at the dealer. It would drive me cray though.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Normal? I don't know about you, but that wouldn't fly as normal to me.

My truck was 18 months old and didn't have any of that, and we get some crazy humidity as well and it never was parked indoors.

I don't buy thats normal, but I'm also not sure he'll have much luck at the dealer. It would drive me cray though.

I said it was normal and for these truck it is. I did not say it was acceptable. How fast the rust appears will depend on many variables. I'm sure if he brings it to the dealer the service writer and or service manager will say exactly that "Its perfectly normal and acceptable". And in this case what can they really do? Fiat should have used different material to fab these pieces if they were going to be to cheap and to lazy to paint them. But what do us tin foil hat guys know anyway.

I wonder if there are any health hazards associated with breathing the rust particles when they get into the air inside the truck? Especially since Fiat deleted the cabin air filter in our trucks.

Mine has rust under there, not as bad as that yet! My seat tracks and even the bolts that hold the seats in are rusting as well.

Last edited: