SD card slot, can it be added?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

So my new 2017 sport did not come with the SD card slot in the center armrest place like it normally is. I have 2 USB spots and an AUX plug in instead. Is that something that I could just plug in if I found the one that has the SD card slot, AUX and USB plug? I don't like using a USB drive to play my music off of. Weird, I know.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
You purchased a Sport model, what radio came in it? I was under the assumption that all Sport models came with an 8.4A or 8.4AN radio. That said according to the uconnect website all 8.4 radios in the 2017 line up some with SD reader standard.

Did you truck come with a 5.0 radio, this would explain not having the SD reader? Or is it possible they installed the wrong media reader in the truck when they built it? If your truck did come with a 8.4 radio then it seems to me that the dealer should replace the media reader with the SD card type under warranty. If you replace it yourself and you do not have the soft key on the screen you will need some sort of programming to add it to the radio screen.

Last edited:

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Hey guys,

So my new 2017 sport did not come with the SD card slot in the center armrest place like it normally is. I have 2 USB spots and an AUX plug in instead. Is that something that I could just plug in if I found the one that has the SD card slot, AUX and USB plug? I don't like using a USB drive to play my music off of. Weird, I know.

I know what you said... but my 2015 sport had the SD and my 2017 Larry does not, so for $5 on amazon i bought a shorty USB, transferred the files and kept on moving...

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
You purchased a Sport model, what radio came in it? I was under the assumption that all Sport models came with an 8.4A or 8.4AN radio. That said according to the uconnect website all 8.4 radios in the 2017 line up some with SD reader standard.

I have the 8.4 NAV in my 2017 Larry... no SD slot, USB only.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Did you truck come with a 5.0 radio, this would explain not having the SD reader? Or is it possible they installed the wrong media reader in the truck when they built it? If your truck did come with a 8.4 radio then it seems to me that the dealer should replace the media reader with the SD card type under warranty. If you replace it yourself and you do not have the soft key on the screen you will need some sort of programming to add it to the radio screen.
Yep, it's got the 8.4AN so I was surprised not to have it.

I know what you said... but my 2015 sport had the SD and my 2017 Larry does not, so for $5 on amazon i bought a shorty USB, transferred the files and kept on moving...
This is probably what I'll do. The only reason I didn't want to do that was because if I remember correctly, my last truck I used a USB drive for my music, it would not sort the music in alphabetical order. It was just random. I know it's not that big of a deal, but I have OCD lol.

Does your USB drive sort them alphabetically?

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Yep, it's got the 8.4AN so I was surprised not to have it.

This is probably what I'll do. The only reason I didn't want to do that was because if I remember correctly, my last truck I used a USB drive for my music, it would not sort the music in alphabetical order. It was just random. I know it's not that big of a deal, but I have OCD lol.

Does your USB drive sort them alphabetically?

Not 100% sure what you mean... I will say this, I usually do random but if I turn off random, yes it will play all tracks in 0123ABC order. But this is a fairly powerful head unit so you can set it to do a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963