Seat differences?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've done some searching but really haven't found a definite answer. I had a '13 Ram 1500 Tradesman Express QC with the 40/20/40 front seat. I really liked the truck but did not like not having Bluetooth or CD player and I found the front seats to be uncomfortable for any duration. They seemed narrow and my hips were sore from the high sides and thin padding on them. I traded it on a '11 2500 Laramie CC shortbed w/Cummins. I also looked at a '13 2500, not sure which trim level, before I bought the '11. Right away I noticed how comfortable the seats were in the 2500s. The '13 had a 60/40 seat and my 11 has the same ( I think) but in leather. The '13 seats seemed even better than my '11.

Are there any differences in the seats in the 1500 trucks, say between a Tradesman or a higher trim level? I see a lot of them with a full center console, I'm not sure if that would make me feel crowded. I'm not real big but I'm not thin either 5'11" and 240lbs right now. (need to lose about 40) I'm thinking of going back to a 1500. The diesel 2500 is a bit of overkill and I would like a lower monthly payment. I love the 2500 but if I could find a comfortable seat in a 1500 I might make the move. I did some 600-700 mile days in the 2500 on my trip from MD to WY this March and I don't think I could have done that in the 1500.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never drove a 13, but the cloth seats in my 14 express are comfortable. It is the bench with pull down center console. Up to now the longest seat time I have had is about 3 hours but will be going on a trip next week that will be about 8 to 9.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Unless they have more padding or something there not different as far as dimensions

My 09 seats are pretty comfy.

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately, everyone is built a little different. I love the seats in my '13 but mine are the leather ones. I am not sure if the seat cushion is different or not from the express.

My longest seat time so far is around 5hrs and I wasn't all sore or anything like I am with a lot of vehicles.

I don't know if it helps but my friend had a car once that had really comfortable seats, at least to most people. For him they were horrible. He ended up getting gone of those seat massagers and it resolved his issue.

Just a thought......

Sladerade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have an 09 sport with the cooled and heated leather seats and I rode in the seats for 16hrs 8 driving and 8 sleeping not in that order though, but you get the idea. My dad and I drove it back from Kentucky to texas. Those seats where very comfortable to ride in for the 16 hrs!

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a '13 Express with the fabric seats and I have done two 1000+, mile 15+ hr drives and was very comfortable the whole time.....not a little guy either :) 6'2" 240....most comfortable truck I ever owned.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
3 different seats in the 13+ Rams.
Base (Express / Tradesman)
Upgraded (Still cloth, just moar/gooder padding)
Leather (Be it Sport or Laramie, they all look to be the same seats, but totally different than the 2 above).

mjd91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, the higher trim levels have seats with more padding/side bolstering.

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi All,

I don't know, I have a 13 Tradesman with cloth 40/20/40 seat and my wife and I went over 300 miles in it with no issues what so ever.

preachp

lonewolf2873

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I find my express seats to not be comfortable on 3+ hour drives. I'm going to look into swapping out for higher trim level seats. Not sure if it's as easy as pulling current out and bolt new in.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I find my express seats to not be comfortable on 3+ hour drives. I'm going to look into swapping out for higher trim level seats. Not sure if it's as easy as pulling current out and bolt new in.
Reviving an old thread here... can anyone advise if it is a simple plug and play switch to change out seats?

I will be looking for higher trim seats to swap out my 2015 2500 Tradesman front bench seat. I want the power adjustable seats, preferably with memory settings for my wife and I.

Is it as simple as unplugging the stock seat, removing it, installing the new seat and hooking up the electrical connectors and it works?

Or do I need the truck to be reprogrammed at the dealer?
Or do I need to add pins or wiring harnesses?
Or do I need to do something else?

Thanks guys!

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Reviving an old thread here... can anyone advise if it is a simple plug and play switch to change out seats?

I will be looking for higher trim seats to swap out my 2015 2500 Tradesman front bench seat. I want the power adjustable seats, preferably with memory settings for my wife and I.

Is it as simple as unplugging the stock seat, removing it, installing the new seat and hooking up the electrical connectors and it works?

Or do I need the truck to be reprogrammed at the dealer?

Or do I need to add pins or wiring harnesses?

Or do I need to do something else?

Thanks guys!

The seats will bolt right in (you need 13+ if you want to keep your side airbags and not have the light on). Your tradesman likely has no wiring other than the minimum for the airbags and seat belt sensor. To get the power adjustment working, you just need to run power and ground to them. For advanced functionality it's much more involved. We have a decent handle on getting the heat and cooled working, but still don't have much data on memory. There's a thread in the 4th gen DIY about putting premium seats in a Tradesman/Express. That would be a good place to start.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
thanks 00R/T. I searched but there were a couple threads with hundreds of posts and a quick look didn't reveal info that I thought was relevant. I will look for that thread and review, but it sounds like its a pretty complicated swap to get memory seats.

I appreciate the quick and thorough response!

warbat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC 4wd
Engine
I had a 2011 slt and now a 2015 tradesman. I have notice no difference in seat comfort. Im 6'2 380. I know slt's are the jack of all trades masters of none so my slt may have had the same level of seat as my tradesman.

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
SLT cloth seats are an upgrade over tradesman/express cloth seats. But most people looking to swap seats are going for leather, so it's not a common swap.