seatcovers on leather, good/bad idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone put seat covers on leather seats. This is my first truck with leather. I have always put covers on my cloth seats.

Thanks,
Dan

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Great idea, will preserve the leather and IMO feel better, especially when they are hot. If I had any advice it would be to put a none oily leather conditioner on before you put the cover on, will help keep leather from drying out. All leather eventually dry out, even names like BMW, trust me I know. I was a detailer for years, I have found that Zaino Z10 is one of the best leather conditioners you can buy. As for seat covers, I personally think wet okoles are the best, great fit and water proof, will sit real nice on top of leather. Good luck, post some pics whatever you get.

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
why buy leather if youre just gonna cover it up??

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 SLT Crew 4x4, 8-spd, Cherry Red
Engine
V-6

--------
OK, I have covers on my cloth seats. But why would you pay the $$$$$ for leather, only to cover them up :badidea:

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
I only buy vehicles with leather,I think leather is easier to take care of.

I have had seat covers for some of my vehicles before that i would only put on in the winter,when they did not have seat heaters.

I went to New Zealand in 1989 for the first time,of course there are more sheep in that country than people, I purchased 2 pair of beautiful Natural Merino Sheep skin seat covers and still have them and use them in my vehicles. In fact I just put them in my wifes 13 Jetta TDI which has leather for this winter.

I have had cloth seat covers before as well that I used on several vehicles with beige leather interior to keep them clean.

In fact I have a seat covers for my 2012 2500 since it has beige interior.

Some times in my job which I service milling machines,lathes,custom automation and robotics I can get some grease/oil and other stuff on me, my intention was to carry a set of covers with me for those times and only use them then.

I currently have these called seat savers by covercraft that are machine washable.

I have never used them and they are new still in the box

Since I sold my 2500 about a month ago and bought a 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 Eco Diesel I now have no use for them. They do not fit the Jeep, I will probably buy a set from the same company for the Jeep after I sell the ones from the 2500, because my Jeep also has beige leather.

My loss is your gain and they are for sale here listed in the for sale section of Ram Forum.

NIB Seat Savers by covercraft Taupe/beige for bucket seats list $124.00 sell for $90.00 plus shipping.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y1...9-c21a-4f82-a585-ad9a8556e2a9_zpscf7074ae.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/doctordeckel/Ram 2500HD Parts/IMG_3931_zps5fbfbea1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/doctordeckel/Ram 2500HD Parts/IMG_3934_zps0c2e635d.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/doctordeckel/Ram 2500HD Parts/IMG_3933_zps568274c0.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/doctordeckel/Ram 2500HD Parts/IMG_3932_zpsa674e96d.jpg

Last edited:

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my buddy bought some Carhartt seat covers for his f150. he also has heated leather seats. great for the winter and tough against dirt. i think seat covers are great if you NEED them or WANT them. When you sell the truck the seats will be in nice condition +$

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought my '00 Ram with leather seats and was deathly afraid of them getting destroyed.
After living with them, and regularly conditioning them, they were far far easier to maintain than cloth seats and held up even with my raptor claw'd dog jumping in/out of the truck.

Just take care of em, I don't think there is any need/reason to cover them unless you're in a roughneck type of situation, where I would question you driving such a nice truck to such a job.

OP
OP
dpinvidic

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I wanted heated/cooled seats which were only avail in the higher trim levels.
I do like having leather for resale.
I usually get a dash cover and seat covers for all of my vehicles (just sold a 2000 tundra, and the interior was like new.
I am not too hung up on looks, but get more satisfaction knowing that the seats under the covers are still like new. But I would not buy Cammo seat covers for a black interior.

Dan

cajun87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the option to order heated and cooled cloth seats in my outdoorsman.

OP
OP
dpinvidic

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am in Flagstaff AZ. Right now. At 30 deg. I am loving these things. ...AND the heated steering wheel.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

SafetyMan43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

--------
OK, I have covers on my cloth seats. But why would you pay the $$$$$ for leather, only to cover them up :badidea:

I'm in this camp.

My Dad bought a '73 Pontiac brand new when I was a kid. Cloth seats (back then cloth was an upgrade), and he had them covered in this custom clear plastic seat cover.

Never made sense to me....

Why not enjoy what you've paid for? These things are NOT "investments". If they were, then I would agree. But an investment actually goes UP in value.

If you take care of your equipment, you will lose money using seat covers... the cost of the cover itself.

I did not even use covers on cloth seats during duck season, and I have been known to load and unload my boat at the muddy ass ramps alone, well, my boys were there, but not big enough or old enough to truly help, so I was in and out of the truck wearing my waders.

A good old blanket will protect your **** on occasion. Used the same old blanket for the wet dog to lay on.

Your money, your decision.

MY money? I'd enjoy the leather, rather than "save" it for the second owner to enjoy.

:drunk:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45