So I had this idea for a custom switch housing...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road King

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I turned this:

20161023_173300_zpsjikojxef.jpg

Into this:

20161023_173320_zpswmvzvh1p.jpg

Which now houses this:

20161105_174040_zpsg46ri5ub.jpg

So that is 2-1/2" square tubing. Cut to 9-1/2" long, then I chopped the back off. Rose-budded the bottom face edge, then bent it back to a 65 degree angle (was aiming for 70 degrees, but 65 was close enough). Welded on the sides to close it up, then cut out slots for the switches and drilled holes for mounting. Realized after the fact, that the OTRATTW switch housings are too long, so had to cut a slot in the bottom of it to clear the switches (which turned out to be a good thing, since I needed the slot to cram a crap ton of wires down into the dash pocket). Plasti-dipped when done (I actually re-coated after the second pic since I wasn't happy with the first try).

The housing is mounted atop the sun-glasses dash pocket. I removed the pocket, and used the mounting tabs to screw down the switch housing. It was a little loose, and I couldn't really crank down on the screws, so I added 3M double sided tape to the bottom of the switch housing. Added a magnet mount for my cellphone on the left there too.

Still need to run the CB antenna and tune it, but it came out pretty nice I think. Oh, and for what it's worth, I ran extra wires for the two empty switch slots for when I add an air horn (will add momentary horn switch on the left, and compressor power switch on the right).

:rockit:

Last edited:

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
id buy one hahah

GoatRider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7
I've been thinking about relocating my cb to the dash so I'd have the use of the middle seat again, when you run your wires pics would be cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The pictures aren't showing for me and I am so curious to see what it looks like

OP
OP
Road King

Road King

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Well, I guess the only measurement not mentioned in the write up are the dimensions of the OTRATTW switch housing cut out in the face - which was 6.14" x 1.9", and the slot on the base, which was about 3/4" wide by a little over 6.14" long (needed to clear the back of the switches - same width as the cut out).

Also, since then I added a hard line USB plug in the back, so I don't have a cord hanging down the dash from my phone.

Coincidentally, I am mounting my compressor/tank/horns this weekend, so there are two more switches now, heh. I mounted my pressure gauge in the dash pocket... turned out real nice. I'll try to get some pics this weekend after I finish.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Combo breaker, sleeping thread awakened!

Anyway this looks like it would also double as a weapon in a car jacking.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Your mic made me think of Transformers :)