steering wheel removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
how do i take of the 2012 steering wheel. LAst night it started making a sound like a piece of paper fell behind it and only rubs in certain spots. (i know wierd, right? ) but its driving me crazy. Im thinking mabe a part number lable peeled off or somthing. please help

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bump for someone who can chime in. I do know you got to be really careful and disable your airbags, so they don't go off.

MoparMulisha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Always disconnect the battery and let it sit for a few minutes. Normally for most vehicles you take the air bag off and there's a single bolt holding the wheel. Found these on another forum:
1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before further service.

2. Remove the upper shroud from the steering column.

3. Release the steering column tilt lever and lower the column to its most downward position for easiest driver airbag removal access.

NOTE: It may be helpful to use a small mirror to aid visibility during the initial attempt to remove the driver airbag from the steering wheel.

4. There are three airbag retainer access holes (1) on the instrument panel side of the hub of the steering wheel (2), located at the two o'clock, six o'clock and ten o'clock positions. The steering wheel must be rotated to bring each of these access holes up to the twelve o'clock position of the steering column one at a time for removal access.

5. Insert the short blade (Tip A) of the Driver Airbag Removal Tool (Special Tool #) (1) or the blade of an equivalent prying tool into either of the upper (two o'clock or ten o'clock) access holes (3) of the steering wheel hub rear trim cover (2), being certain to place the blade of the tool on the inboard (steering wheel hub) side of the airbag snap retainer wire loop.

6. Push the handle of the tool downward for the blade to pry the snap retainer wire loop (3) upward far enough to disengage the loop from the hook of the steering wheel armature. At the same time, gently pull the driver airbag (1) away from the steering wheel (2) to prevent the retainer from snapping back into place over the hook once it is disengaged.

7. Repeat Steps 5 and 6 at the other upper (two o'clock or ten o'clock) access hole to disengage the other upper snap retainer wire loop.

8. Repeat Steps 5 and 6 at the lower (six o'clock) access hole to disengage the lower snap retainer wire loop. The lower snap retainer wire loop has a distinctive V-shape and must always be installed onto the six o'clock hook of the steering wheel armature.

I googled " removing 2012 dodge ram steering wheel "

Last edited:

bskl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
After disconnecting negative battery. Tilt steering wheel to the right, than look for the access whole on the left (10 o'clock). Than vise versa for access whole on right. I didn't use mirror cause I could position my head so I could see behind wheel. I used long blade flat head screw driver. Position flat head in access whole, find metal retainer clip, put flat head under clip & pry up. Once u get that first retainer on left or right side whichever u do first, it will be a lot easier to get retainer on opposite side. Dnt have mess with retainer at 6 o'clock. Hope this helps

JustinC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
Thanks for this thread, I remember I had a ton of problems with this before. Subscribing.

tkyle486

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you took off your steering wheel is there a chance you could put it on wrong or does it only go on one way...ie...if your wheel is straight when you take it off if you're not careful when you put it on it could be turned to the left or right?

apepe0738

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you took off your steering wheel is there a chance you could put it on wrong or does it only go on one way...ie...if your wheel is straight when you take it off if you're not careful when you put it on it could be turned to the left or right?

When I did it on my '11 you could only put it on one way, it was keyd on the very top of the shaft...