Steering Wheel Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tumulte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Hey all.

I have a 2010 ST with basically only cruise control and power windows/doors. I got an EVIC and steering wheel out of a 2012 Laramie. My steering wheel had no controls on it, only a lever for cruise control. The new one has cruise on the buttons and the EVIC controls.

Once Installed, the fuel gauge on the EVIC stopped working (was working before the wheel was installed). The horn worked for a few minutes, then stopped, and now the ABS and traction lights are on. The buttons also don't work. I plugged in the old steering wheel and still nothing. I am 99% sure we didn't let the clockspring turn while the wheel was off, but do you think that could be the issue?

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sounds like a bad clock spring to me, I bet Cruise Control doesn't work anymore either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
tumulte

tumulte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
No it doesn't. None of the buttons on the steering wheel work. I'm using the clockspring that was in the truck originally, and haven't had any issue with. Do I need to swap it out with the old one? I can't imagine it just went bad like that but who knows.

If I do swap, is there a way to re-center the spring?

Thanks.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No it doesn't. None of the buttons on the steering wheel work. I'm using the clockspring that was in the truck originally, and haven't had any issue with. Do I need to swap it out with the old one? I can't imagine it just went bad like that but who knows.

If I do swap, is there a way to re-center the spring?

Thanks.

It doesn't take much for it to fail, had the same problem in my jeep and the only way to fix it is get a new clock spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
tumulte

tumulte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Ok so I put the old wheel back on tonight. The cruise control and horn now work, still have esp/bas and traction lights on. I'm getting a steering column out of a 2010 2500 tomorrow and am going to swap the whole thing to see if that helps me out.

OutlawTrucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The 2012 wheel won't work on 2009-2011. Wiring is different. You have to use the 2009-2011 wheel.

OP
OP
tumulte

tumulte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
So I put in the 2010 wheel and still no luck. Clockspring is centered as far as I can tell. I put the old evic in and I have fuel gauges, but it stops working again with the new evic. Before touching any steering wheels the fuel was working fine on the new evic.

I also have no horn on the new wheel but I do on the old wheel. I really don't understand what the issue is. I guess I'm just going to have to take it to the dealer and see if they can figure anything out. I really don't know what else to do.

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trade it in and get the truck and options you want instead of what youre doing

OP
OP
tumulte

tumulte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Trade it in and get the truck and options you want instead of what youre doing
While that is not a very helpful reply, that is the next step I think. But mine is paid off so i won't be getting a new truck until this one falls apart. Just have to stick with cosmetic upgrades I suppose!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
The 2012 wheel won't work on 2009-2011. Wiring is different. You have to use the 2009-2011 wheel.

Tumulte
If you bale on the project or trade your truck in I'll buy the parts off you. I have a 2012 Express so it should work?

OP
OP
tumulte

tumulte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Sorry I already traded the wheel for a 2010.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk