Steering Wheel Swap... Can it be done ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SusanC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2012 Ram 2500, has all the buttons on the front of the steering wheel, except no audio controls on the back of the wheel.

It has the exact same setup as my 2011 Ram 1500 that has the audio controls on the back of the wheel.

I am trying to figure out if I can upgrade the steering wheel in the 2500 to include the audio controls on the back of the wheel.

I asked the dealer and they quoted me a price of $2500, told me I would probably need a new wiring harness and radio along with the steering wheel. The guy was being a real pain in the butt and acted like he really wasn't bothered about helping.

My radio is exactly the same is my 2011 1500... and since both of my steering wheels have the exact same buttons on the front... I can't see how it could cost this much just to add a steering wheel with 2 extra buttons. I will purchase the necessary parts if I can just figure out what I need but I first have to figure out if it can be done at all.

Can anyone help please... I pull a trailer with this truck every day all day long, I don't like fiddling with the radio by reaching across the truck.

OP
OP
S

SusanC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anybody ???

I called another dealership and was told I needed an entire new wiring harness from the steering wheel all the way to the rear end.... REALLY? for a radio button ?

With all the great mods on this forum, I can't believe no one has tried this :(

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My steering wheel only has a horn on it.
The only thing I can think of is taking apart your steering wheel and seeing if there are additional wires in the truck side of the connectors that could potentially connect if you had more switches.

I'm thinking I can add the USB connector to my radio because I have 2 connectors on the back of the radio that aren't hooked to anything. *shrug* hard telling without getting in there and taking stuff apart!

ultra2207

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You would need to obviously add the audio control switch somehow- either by adding the switch (probably expensive) or by just swapping your wheel out with one that came with audio controls. I just bought a 2011 black leather wheel that has evic buttons and audio controls. It was $140 shipped to my door. Used off ebay. Changing the wheel is super easy. I can guide you through that if you need help. After the swap you would need the dealer to add sales code RDZ to your truck. That's for controlling your audio controls. Here's where it gets tricky: starting with 2012's it is harder to add sales codes. It was easy on 09-11's. First thing I would do if I were you is to go to your dealer and have them pull up your optional sales codes that can be added to your truck. If RDZ is listed then you're gtg, just swap your wheel and flash the RDZ code in. But, if RDZ is not listed as an optional code than you would somehow need a factory engineer to pull up your truck vin and rework your truck config and add RDZ as an available option to your vin; that is not done at the dealer, like i said a FACTORY engineer needs to do it. Sounds complicated huh? You may get lucky and RDZ is already available for your truck. If your dealer doesn't know how to look up optional codes then go to another dealer. RDZ is not available for my truck (2012 express). I'm sending my TIPM to Jon at after hours mopar in FL to add the codes I need for what I'm doing. That's another way to add the codes needed.

sent via tapatalk

CaptNkllm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I added the the buttons in my 12 (newer steering wheel with them on it) I am trying to find someone to update the codes now t o turn it on..I was told the clock spring has the proper connectors si should be a matter of an update but I am only halfway there now..

CApt

ultra2207

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I added the the buttons in my 12 (newer steering wheel with them on it) I am trying to find someone to update the codes now t o turn it on..I was told the clock spring has the proper connectors si should be a matter of an update but I am only halfway there now..

CApt

That's where I'm at. Unfortunately updating the codes on 12's aren't as easy. Go to the dealer and have them pull up your vehicle and see if the codes you need (RDZ for example) are available. If what you need is not listed then you need a factory engineer to pull up your vin and add the optional codes needed. Have fun explaining that to your dealer, they'll probably have no idea what you're talking about. I'm more than likely going to send my entire tipm to after hours mopar in FL to handle it. That's another option for you.

sent via tapatalk

CaptNkllm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
What a the cost for him approx to do that? How long does he have it?

Can you take a pic of that part so I know what it is.. Thanks

Capt

OP
OP
S

SusanC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think it will work for me.... the video shows them using this to control an aftermarket radio when you already have the buttons on the back of the steering wheel. I am using the OEM radio and have no buttons on the back of the wheel :(

Thanks, it is a cool product though.

Jabalone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, their main product is for factory stereos without wheel volume controls.

They sell the Steering Wheel Control Interface at Amazon here;

Amazon.com: Metra Axxess Universal RF Steering Wheel Control Add-On Interface: Electronics

again here;

Axxess RFASWC Universal RF Steering Wheel Control Add-On Interface

or another of type of controller on a stalk here;

Axxess - ASWCSTALK - Universal Steering Wheel Stalk Interface Add-On

You just have to buy the right harness for Chrysler stereos which is likely this one;

Axxess OESWC-6522H Wire Harness for 2007-Up Select Chrysler Cars

Check out the other video's here which explain the options;

http://axxessinterfaces.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=9&zenid=p6ksc9gabb2leqn1nal1q4fnq4

Right now, Axxess products seem like the only way to do this aftermarket on factory stereos. As you can see, I've been researching this quite a bit for myself. Any decent stereo place should be able to install for you. You can contact the company here if you want more clarification.

Axxess Interface - Contact Us

OP
OP
S

SusanC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is so cool !!!

Thank you so much for posting this info !!!

Rock$tar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I got a wheel on ebay for mine, and just went to dealer, they flashed it, all is fine and working. All the wiring is already there, its the same wiring that is used for the controls for the EVIC, since its a CAN network, no additional wires are required at the clock spring.

CaptNkllm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I got a wheel on ebay for mine, and just went to dealer, they flashed it, all is fine and working. All the wiring is already there, its the same wiring that is used for the controls for the EVIC, since its a CAN network, no additional wires are required at the clock spring.

How long does the programming take? Cost?

Capt

Rock$tar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I dont know not very long i dont say dealerships dont generally charge for it.

Posted by my Droid

ultra2207

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

What year is your Ram?

sent via tapatalk

ultra2207

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh nvm, I see you have a 2010. Captn, like I said before its easy for 09-11's to be reflashed. 12's are different. Go to your local dealer and have them look up your vin to see what sales codes can be added. Unluckily for me the sales codes needed for steering wheel controls weren't available so I have to go a different route. You may get lucky though.

sent via tapatalk

CaptNkllm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Sent tpms to Jon to have it programmed. He was able to turn on the radio buttons on the steering wheel, overhead console compass, fogs and my reverse camera. I will have mine back on Monday to plug in and see how it all works

I will post an updat soon as I can

Capt

ultra2207

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome! Definitely update us. I forgot (or maybe I never knew), yours is a '12 right? And what exactly did you swap out?

sent via tapatalk

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
No, their main product is for factory stereos without wheel volume controls.

They sell the Steering Wheel Control Interface at Amazon here;

Amazon.com: Metra Axxess Universal RF Steering Wheel Control Add-On Interface: Electronics

again here;

Axxess RFASWC Universal RF Steering Wheel Control Add-On Interface

or another of type of controller on a stalk here;

Axxess - ASWCSTALK - Universal Steering Wheel Stalk Interface Add-On

You just have to buy the right harness for Chrysler stereos which is likely this one;

Axxess OESWC-6522H Wire Harness for 2007-Up Select Chrysler Cars

Check out the other video's here which explain the options;

http://axxessinterfaces.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=9&zenid=p6ksc9gabb2leqn1nal1q4fnq4

Right now, Axxess products seem like the only way to do this aftermarket on factory stereos. As you can see, I've been researching this quite a bit for myself. Any decent stereo place should be able to install for you. You can contact the company here if you want more clarification.

Axxess Interface - Contact Us

index.php

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf