Steering wheel switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adubree86

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So I got this hairbrain idea this morning and I'm not sure if its possible. I was thinking about the switch setup for my LED lightbar. I think it would be sweet to install a rocker switch next to the audio controls on the back of the steering wheel so my switch for the lights are readily available. What would all be involved in doing something like that?

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So I got this hairbrain idea this morning and I'm not sure if its possible. I was thinking about the switch setup for my LED lightbar. I think it would be sweet to install a rocker switch next to the audio controls on the back of the steering wheel so my switch for the lights are readily available. What would all be involved in doing something like that?
Taking off the steering wheel cover, drillimg the proper sized holes for the switches and also making sure there is enough room behind the plastic where you drill for the switches hole.

Other than that its just running and hiding wires.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
adubree86

adubree86

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Taking off the steering wheel cover, drillimg the proper sized holes for the switches and also making sure there is enough room behind the plastic where you drill for the switches hole.

Other than that its just running and hiding wires.

Trying to figure out how to hid wiring is probably my biggest question. Not sure, without getting into it all, how the wheel will be able to be turned without binding up the wiring.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Typically this would be done with something called a clockspring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Trying to figure out how to hid wiring is probably my biggest question. Not sure, without getting into it all, how the wheel will be able to be turned without binding up the wiring.

Yeah. That's your issue. You can't just run wiring from the steering wheel without going through the clockspring, and there's no extra wires in it.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Use a wireless switch!
They even make some with a small watch size battery and its backing is 3m sticky tape so you wont even need to drill into the wheels plastic or take anything apart. Just stick it on back there and your good to go for a long time. Plus its easy to get off whenever the battery eventually dies.

OP
OP
adubree86

adubree86

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They even make some with a small watch size battery and its backing is 3m sticky tape so you wont even need to drill into the wheels plastic or take anything apart. Just stick it on back there and your good to go for a long time. Plus its easy to get off whenever the battery eventually dies.

Could you post a link?

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Could you post a link?
I would have to search google for it. I saw them at my local autozone and walmart. Let me see if i can find them or something similar.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members