Stupid Rattle... HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, my '11 Ram is already ******* me off with build quality issues.

I have a almost metallic sounding rattle coming from the top of the passenger side. Above where the upper glove box would be. Applying pressure down to the top of the dash quiets it.

IMAG0117.jpg

Took all this apart, and drove around, sound got worse. Best I can tell it's something INSIDE the airbag. Anyone have any experience removing them?

I'm very hesitant to have the dealer 'find' a squeak, especially after the 'fix' for my squeaky seat (sprayed it was nasty smelling oil)

flyer09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I don't have any experience with airbags but I know just how frustrating rattles and squeaks can be..:banghead:

That sucks..

macmongrel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have any experience with airbags but I know just how frustrating rattles and squeaks can be..:banghead:

That sucks..

Yeah man I feel bad for you...I also feel bad for that poor little smiley banging his head on the wall...What a life that smiley has :(

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
wow crap thats apart. I can say mines quiet atill even with 21k on it sofar.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
that sucks, and i can sympathize with how annoying that can be. Hey now that its apart might as well upgrade your radio....lol

i have no experience with air bags, but i heard you have to be careful, or you could set them off.

Dhunter6409

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if you wanna take the airbag out unplug the battery first that will keep it from going off then there should be a clip to unplug it

flyer09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yeah man I feel bad for you...I also feel bad for that poor little smiley banging his head on the wall...What a life that smiley has :(

Haha yeah some of them have pretty bad jobs... Some not so bad!:party52:

OP
OP
WhiteExpress

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
if you wanna take the airbag out unplug the battery first that will keep it from going off then there should be a clip to unplug it

I thought there was capacitors somewhere in the system, I don't know. I hate rattles and squeaks.

RamFan2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had to take mine in 3 times already for the same issue. I finally decided to try and find it myself but couldn't figure out how to get the upperglove box out without breaking something. What was your plan of action? I thought about stuffing scraps of foam in there, maybe you have a better idea.

samsquanch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2012 has the same metallic sound coming from the same place. But it is intermittent and only happens when I run up over 3000 rpm.

OP
OP
WhiteExpress

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To remove the upper glove box, remove first the lower. Then about 6" in from center stack directly up, you can see a single 7mm bolt holding the back of the upper glovebox in.

The rest of it should just pull out. (assuming the upper glove box is the same as the 'storage nook' that I have).

That being said, I haven't a clue how to fix this one. I wanted to try removing the air bag and see if there was a defect in the unit. (IE does the rattle go away with the bag NOT in the truck).

RamFan2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To remove the upper glove box, remove first the lower. Then about 6" in from center stack directly up, you can see a single 7mm bolt holding the back of the upper glovebox in.

The rest of it should just pull out. (assuming the upper glove box is the same as the 'storage nook' that I have).

That being said, I haven't a clue how to fix this one. I wanted to try removing the air bag and see if there was a defect in the unit. (IE does the rattle go away with the bag NOT in the truck).

Cool, thanks. I'll give it another try sometime.

OP
OP
WhiteExpress

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any updates on this yet?

Yea! I took it over to the 'local' Ram dealership. The service guy was completely useless. Told me that after 12k miles rattles aren't covered under the warranty.

I need to go back to the dealer I bought it at. I'm not accepting this crap on a truck with 14k miles. My '00 Ram with 140k didn't rattle!

RamFan2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah... I still have a rattle here. I did get the upper glove box out and packed it with foam. I also took all the door panels off and lined them with foam... I hated the hollow sound they had if you knock on the doors. Mine only rattles in the morning, when it's cooler outside. WhiteExpress, does yours rattle all the time?