is there a vinyl dye?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twisted 8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am curious if there is a vinyl dye that you would actually brush or rub in. I just ordered a rebel interior for my express and the only grey thing left on the interior will be my dash top. The only way I could think to paint it with aresol would be to remove the windshield. Has anybody had success painting the top?

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Easiest thing in my mind is a dash mat.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
SEM vinyl paint. Usually on the shelves of any auto paint supply store.

You don't remove the windshield, that's crazy.

Cover everything in plastic and tape..or remove the part.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

Does this stuff bring good results? When I first read the OP's post, I could not think of anything that would not look like hammered ass when done.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Easiest thing in my mind is a dash mat.

Does this stuff bring good results? When I first read the OP's post, I could not think of anything that would not look like hammered ass when done.

I used this stuff to dye my center console vinyl when I went to a black katzkin interior in my '07. It 'dyed' the vinyl but it is a coating and in areas that see a lot of wear it ended up rubbing off but everywhere else it lasted forever just make sure everything is clean and prepped properly.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
thats the only grey i have left also. I was thinking of doing a vinyl wrap on it but im not sure if itll stick since its rough.

I tried the vinyl spray paint on some other parts and if anything sharp catches it or if its touched a lot it will just come off.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
For the dash, the "right" way to do it would be to remove. If you were to go through all the trouble of removing the dash, then it would be a no brainer to just have it recovered. Expensive? yes, but your Rebel interior was probably not cheap. Spend a little extra $ and have no regrets.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
For the dash, the "right" way to do it would be to remove. If you were to go through all the trouble of removing the dash, then it would be a no brainer to just have it recovered. Expensive? yes, but your Rebel interior was probably not cheap. Spend a little extra $ and have no regrets.

it just really sucks that you cant remove just the outer part and need to remove the whole thing

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
SEM and VHT both make a vinyl dye.

OP
OP
twisted 8

twisted 8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was looking for something not in an aerosol because I feel it will be difficult to spray inside the truck. But I also don't want it to look streaky like it was brushed on.i thought about taking it out to paint but I'm just nervous it would rattle afterwards

djarrett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know of anything that isn't an aerosol. You might try some automotive restoration shops in your area for ideas.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i sprayed some rattle can vinyl paint on a pair of old boat seats probably 5 years ago and and they still look brand new,and believe me they've seen a lot of ass.

deangtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You could try "Forever Black" bumper and trim dye kit. I used it on one of my interior bits. My intentions were to do all of them but I am lazy.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi

SEM is excellent.