For those that do not like the Dial Shifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

norton333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For me it's no big deal at all, drive a 2012 Silverado with column shifter for work 5 days, jump back in my RAM maybe 2-3 times a week ,turn a knob and drive, it's not like I have to do anything with it once it's in drive, if it was a manual transmission and you had to shift with the knob, then yea I could see the issue.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my nearly 19 years of driving I have never shut a vehicle with an automatic off while in gear.. until I bought this truck. I live 2 houses in off a main road and I back my vehicles in. On more than one occasion now I've had somebody come flying around the corner and as I go to quickly shift in R either the AC gets shut off or the volume to the stereo. I love the truck but damn is that a dumb design considering how many other knobs are in close proximity to the shift knob.

I absolutely agree.....I now have a 2500 with a column shifter, but had a 1500 with the stupid rotary dial....hated it.

If I go back to a half ton, I'm afraid I'll have to go with a Ford or Nissan or ?????
:word::word::word:

GunEnvy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm still getting used to it but so far my only "gripe" is that a couple times while adjusting the AC I've almost turn the gear shift knob.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's just another advance in technology like turbo charged V6's instead of V8's now in full size pickup trucks. I do like the space it saves...

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It's further to reach it and as I like to sit back from the steering wheel it's not comfortable to use. Also, I like to look where I'm going before I put it in gear. Try turning around to look out the back window and then putting it in reverse. I know my arms aren't long enough. There's a lot of stuff on the new interiors I don't like though and that's actually one of the things that bothers me the least. Having to switch away from my nav or radio screen to go into heat settings to warm my feet up is probably what bothers me most. I used to be able to do that in a split second without looking. I guess road safety is getting in the way of progress. Stare at the pretty screen not the road.

Salsa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm still not use to it after 2 months. I have a real issue with turning off my truck before I put it in P. The other day sitting at a RR track I put it in N, when the arms lifted I immediately put it in D but there was no D, acted like it was in N, so I think the guy behind me thought who is this JA that's sitting here revving up his truck. Finally I put my foot on the brake, shifted to P, then to N and D. Then I burnt f'n rubber over the tracks. Gotta love it. Grrrrr

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had the dial shifter in my Durango R/T (2014) and liked it. It was on the console and not the dash. My Rebel shifter knob is on the dash. I don't mind it in the least...takes up less space, easy to use and out of the way.

Its personal preference...but I like it...which is my opinion of course.

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like it, don't miss the old column shift at all.

DanHate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Meh,. I still reach for the non existent column shifter from time to time, but I don't have any problems with the dial.

I just wish it was a push button instead of a dial because push buttons are cooler.

Deviousin10tions

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Bighorn 8ft bed SRW
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't have it, and I don't want it besides where would my Axel Lock knob and Swaybar disconnect switch go?

SD38-2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I prefer the column shift that my 2014 has. Last winter I took my truck in for some warranty and recall work so the dealer had my truck for several days plus the weekend. The gave me a 2017 1500 4 door hemi with the 8 speed as my loaner. At first I hated the rotary shifter but after a couple days I got use to it. If I bought a new truck I wouldn't mind the rotary shifter.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
After a full year with it, I'm used to using the rotary shifter. Still don't really like it but I'm used to it.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
After a full year with it, I'm used to using the rotary shifter. Still don't really like it but I'm used to it.

thats me, i hate it but im used to it...

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I dont hate it, but I dont love it. It's just another means to change gears in the truck.

When I'm backing up, I have a habit of not stopping completely before putting it in drive. Old habit I learned from my dad growing up, and just never have done it. There has been several times when I turned the knob attempting to go to drive, and instead going to park and locking up the transmission. I'm certain that cant be good for the truck. I also didnt make it all the way to park one day and was laying across the console digging something out of my passenger side floorboard when I felt an odd sensation like I was moving. I sat up to see that I was indeed rolling backward. A bit of a pucker moment, but all was well in the end.

I prefer a console shifter over a column shifter, simply because it gives me a place to rest my hand. I prefer a column shifter over the rotary shifter. The rotary shifter just feels too "import car" and gimmicky to me.

big13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
For me I think it is some sort of a Safety issue. trying to get out of the way and missing a rotary dial and turning fan or radio dial, as opposed to slaming the console in reverse. You have to search for the dial in that moment.

RBAT

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The audio volume varies greatly between inputs and more than once I have grabbed the shift knob instead of the radio volume when making a hasty adjustment. With all of the touch screen controls used on the truck and considering that the trans is electronic shift I agree that the gear selector should be touch control. The big old rotary knob is almost tacky looking. But I guess touch control for gear selection would be too much of a throwback to the "typewriter drive" used in the '50s.

Attachments

• pushbuttons.jpg
    pushbuttons.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 112

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got my truck as a CPO so I had to take what there was. In the beginning I was very uncoordinated and forced myself to actually think about what I was doing. I never really have much backing up to do and since retirement even less so the groping for the R on the knob to back up isn't much of an issue. I'll say that after 5000+ miles and 4 months of ownership I've become used to it. The console being clean is a plus, but I find I am constantly looking for somewhere to rest my right hand/wrist. My Wife's Outback has a console with a tranny selector and my Miata has the shift knob, but my RAM only has a console to rest on.

Of course I was driving when vent windows were standard and heaters were optional, so I guess I've seen evolution in my time.

If only my truck had a danged factory CD player~~~

oldstyle17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
My issue is when it is necessary to swap from reverse to drive quickly. Say backing out and someone turns out behind you
Going fast and you need to get out of the way and the park is just one click away where as with the shifter itself there is more feel to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tncruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi
The audio volume varies greatly between inputs and more than once I have grabbed the shift knob instead of the radio volume when making a hasty adjustment. With all of the touch screen controls used on the truck and considering that the trans is electronic shift I agree that the gear selector should be touch control. The big old rotary knob is almost tacky looking. But I guess touch control for gear selection would be too much of a throwback to the "typewriter drive" used in the '50s.

and real paddle shifter instead of 2 tiny buttons
my wifes explorer has paddle shifter and I love it
brianj