Under Dash Foot well Lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So, I noticed a very lacking thing from my truck today. Under dash lights. The interior lighting SUCKS on these trucks. There are NO lights for your feet, on both the front and back of the truck. Also, i kinda miss the lights on the bottom of the doors like my Tundra had.

I dont need them on at my feet all the time, just when I turn the interior on or if I want to turn them on separately.

IM guessing I need to tie into the dome lighting. Does it run up the A pillar for the console in front and down the driver door channel for the rear light?

I want to install LED under the front dash and on the bottom/back of the front and back.

thanks,

tjones524

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tapped into the yellow/white one for mine, the other one wasnt needed for me.

Works good, found a bolt under the steering column for my ground.

Theres a strip under the passenger glove box you can mount lights too.

On the drivers side, I sort of just zip tied it around stuff, works lol.

I'd use a strip like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-1...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a18e170d2&vxp=mtr

Comes with SMD 5050 leds, super bright, sticky backing for mounting.

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
awesome.. I am thinking of doing them in red since the truck is red exterior. sounds like a pretty easy and cheapo mod. now to find some power at the back of the seats too. I may pull the plastic on the door bottom and run a single hot wire. surely there is ground under there with my Laramie edition seats.

tjones524

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just run your hot wire from the front to the back there.

You can use the seat bolts for a ground if you'd like.

I haven't got the spare time to do the rear yet.

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Gotcha.... Yea thats what I was thinking. hope that yellow/white is easy to get to. I may do it this weekend. get some of the inexpensive led strips from walmart.

tjones524

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Super easy, just pop off the side-dash panel and she's right there.

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Awesome... weekend project.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

theshortyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Super easy mod hardest was finding what to zip tie the strip to on the driver side like mentioned above

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recommend against the use of T-tap, but this is the same place I tapped on my '11.
At some point I will do the same on my '13.

I want to find some "Sky Blue" LEDs to match the other interior lighting.

colport833

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
hemi
No need for t-taps...found the pigtails for footwell lights yesterday...passenger side requires you to remove lower glove box( open and squeeze sides...look around inside..I found my pigtail..yellow/violet on 2013`s.) then crawled upside down under drivers side..found same pigtail taped to a wire bundle..have not tested yet...but do believe its prewired..as for the wiring for lights to come on with rotary switch..not sure...too damn cold to play around just yet..

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
yea I dont think I have any T-Taps, I was planning on just cuting the wire and then crimping in the wires to do what I needed.

Colport? so you had some igtails? were they just a blank plug taped to the harness up in there? Ill have to go digging with the Mulitmeter then. that sounds even more promising than splicing like I had planned originally. Should then be pretty easy to split out on one side and run under the seats for the rear. ( have have two young boys who tend to drop stuff in the back)

colport833

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
hemi
The passenger side was loose..sitting just above heater box...the driver side was taped up to a wire harness just left of steering column

colport833

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
hemi
Confirmed

Ok gang..went outside..dropped glove box..fished out the footwell pigtail..put a 5mm led into harness..opened door..lights, closed door..dimmed then off..bonus feature..reached over used rotary switch to activate dome light..the 5mm led also came on...sweet:cheers:...when can I start!! got some of these in blue to install..footwells..bottom of doors(more puddle lights)..under rear seats..maybe one in upper glovebox cubby...

Attachments

• leds.jpg
    leds.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 492
  • L-5LED.jpg
    L-5LED.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Where did u get those

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Danimal77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok gang..went outside..dropped glove box..fished out the footwell pigtail..put a 5mm led into harness..opened door..lights, closed door..dimmed then off..bonus feature..reached over used rotary switch to activate dome light..the 5mm led also came on...sweet:cheers:...when can I start!! got some of these in blue to install..footwells..bottom of doors(more puddle lights)..under rear seats..maybe one in upper glovebox cubby...

I really like the looks of those.

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
Think I just found my next project, I had footwell lights in my car and loved em