Upgrade to a START BUTTON ignition switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This question may have popped up before.

I really like the start button that comes with a lot of the new vehicles; and as long as you have the key fob in your pocket you are good to go.
My Ram has the crap where out to stick the keyfob in and turn it like it was a key; which it is NOT.
Is there any way to upgrade this to a start button setup?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The best way is to trade your truck in on one that already has it. It's a very complicated/expensive mod. Haven't seen anyone here actually pull it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
I'd be curious if it is possible. At minimum, you need the RFH, key fob, proximity antennas, wiring, and sales codes added. Might have to replace the door handles too. I'd guesstimate it on the low end at about $2000 with labor. It's a $300 add on option from the factory.

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd be curious if it is possible. At minimum, you need the RFH, key fob, proximity antennas, wiring, and sales codes added. Might have to replace the door handles too. I'd guesstimate it on the low end at about $2000 with labor. It's a $300 add on option from the factory.

Not knowing what model truck the OP has it may cost that much. On a higher level optioned truck I am not sure it would be as big of deal to add. I have a '13 sport that doesn't have keyless grab 'n go.

I thought about adding this and from digging through the wiring it looks like you really only need 2 things. You need a new ignition switch since the ignition module (forget what it is called) is actually right on the back of the button/ keyhole and new fobs. You would also need new door handles if you wanted that but for me I would have no interest.

Anyway, i don't know if it would ever be important enough for me to do. I guess if someone did a write up showing what I said above was correct I may consider it. Other than that been using cars with keys in the ignition all my life. Not really a big deal.

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
Not knowing what model truck the OP has it may cost that much. On a higher level optioned truck I am not sure it would be as big of deal to add. I have a '13 sport that doesn't have keyless grab 'n go.

I thought about adding this and from digging through the wiring it looks like you really only need 2 things. You need a new ignition switch since the ignition module (forget what it is called) is actually right on the back of the button/ keyhole and new fobs. You would also need new door handles if you wanted that but for me I would have no interest.

Anyway, i don't know if it would ever be important enough for me to do. I guess if someone did a write up showing what I said above was correct I may consider it. Other than that been using cars with keys in the ignition all my life. Not really a big deal.

I almost bought the only ceramic blue one we had last year til I noticed it didn't have keyless go. The salesman suggested it could be added on (just trying to get his sale). As a tech, I bluntly said no & almost laughed him off. I didn't wanna deal with the hassle or cost, plus upgrading to a new vehicle wasn't a necessity. My new torred has keyless go & I love it. Keys only ever leave my pocket for house door & tool box.

EDIT: Hunter, you do have a point that I didn't consider. Depending on trim level, the wiring may already be there alleviating majority of the parts & labor costs. I never did look into it to see what it would take.

Last edited:

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I almost bought the only ceramic blue one we had last year til I noticed it didn't have keyless go. The salesman suggested it could be added on (just trying to get his sale). As a tech, I bluntly said no & almost laughed him off. I didn't wanna deal with the hassle or cost, plus upgrading to a new vehicle wasn't a necessity. My new torred has keyless go & I love it. Keys only ever leave my pocket for house door & tool box.

EDIT: Hunter, you do have a point that I didn't consider. Depending on trim level, the wiring may already be there alleviating majority of the parts & labor costs. I never did look into it to see what it would take.

I admit I have thought about doing it but I would need to find a dealership that is willing. None around here. I have considered contacting Steve White in Hickory, NC as they are only a few hours away. They tend to be willing to do stuff like this.

OP
OP
Dr. Righteous

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sounds like it is just not worth it.
And I wouldn't want to trade for the sake of a convenience option. I got a great deal on this RAM and something sitting on a dealer lot would be way overpriced.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Going old school. Lol. Ignition switch quit on my 79, I added toggle switch and a push button. Just flip, push and go. Great anti theft as nobody knew how to start my truck.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Going old school. Lol. Ignition switch quit on my 79, I added toggle switch and a push button. Just flip, push and go. Great anti theft as nobody knew how to start my truck.

Except all of us now. Where is the toggle switch located? ;)

Jdavismp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Right now in the process of installing a kit myself. I am looking to somewhat modify some of the connections. I bought it at autotechelectronic.com. prices vary, I spent $1600 on mine which upgrades everyhing including door handles.